Too many Hello's

Hi all,

I've been trying to programme a LCD (HD44780) with a PIC, (16f84A) but come across a problem I'd like to share with this forum. I have managed to initialise the LCD and got it to write 'HELLO'. But unfortunately it continually repeats this, even though my program should lock-up. I have checked the reset pin (MCLR) but have that held at 5V. I've messed around with the command control codes, but that does'nt appear to make a difference either.

Any input into this problem would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Ozzy

Reply to
ozzy

Is the watchdog restarting it?

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Andrew,

Thanks for replying!

I've actually got this programmed with the Watchdog timer off. One thing though - I have the HD44100 driver chips as part of the module. Do you think this may have something to do with it?

Ozzy

Reply to
ozzy

ozzy a =E9crit :

Too many Hello's is better than too many goodbye's ;o)

Serious though, if it isn't the watchdog then it is probably the power supply. Did you put decoupling caps everywhere? It could also be a bug in your program... writing an address that you didn't intend to or running code that isn't part of your program.

Thanks, Jenalee K.

Reply to
Jenalee K.

Is it a C program ? If so, the C standard startup code will call main() if it ever exits, resulting in a loop. You should make sure main() never exits or add a while(); at the end.

vic

Reply to
vic

There is probably some error in your code.

Perhaps it's the the way you have initialised the display controller or something went wrong when you cut and pasted the example code and modified it to do what you want it to do.

Maybe the code sends the 'Hello' and expects to get some sort of acknowledgment from the display and, if it doesn't get it (because the display is broken or that part of the code is broken) it sends another 'Hello' and so things go on.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Wouldn't it be easier just to show your code.

We can not guess at what we can not see.

A schematic as well.

donald

Reply to
Donald

Thanks for all your replies, but I must say I cocked up big time!!

The picallw software has a little tick box to the right hand side that I did'nt bother with. I had assumed that by clicking the config button (at the bottom) and then setting watchdog to off, would do the trick. These liitle buttons are only initialised when the ticks on the RHS are set.

I guess I get to face the corner & wear the pointy hat then......

Reply to
ozzy

[...]

You sent the last message three times. May be you got stuck in another loop .... :( Bad day!

Joer

Reply to
Joer Breton

"ozzy" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

I probably resets when main() terminates. I've seen it many times.

Guy Fawkes