How to reduce Signal Length if possible?

Hello I have been working on a little project just out of pure curiosity and I have completed my project about 90%, but I have run into a road block and I would appreciate some help if anyone is willing to do so. Here is the link for the project I am working on, something nifty I found on the web and I had 10 bucks and some time to spare, so I tried it:

The fellow who wrote this article never mentioned how to remedy the problem I have been having by the time you finish the modification. However, instead of complicating things by explaining to you the whole procedure I went through I will describe a scenario with a Thevenin Equivalent Circuit.

MY PROBLEM:

I have a (V-Thevenin) DC voltage source of +3.3V and for arguments sake, a resistance (R-Thevenin) of 10 ohms. My voltage source connects to a switch, this is not a traditional switch that only has two positions, it is a toggle switch. To elaborate, this switch simply sends a signal to the circuit board of my Xbox and the Xbox will turn on or off depending on the duration of the press (holding down the toggle button).

If you visited the provided link above, you know that a wireless RF controlled doorbell component is used to ground the switch remotely and the result is the Xbox turns on, which of course is the desired result. The duration of the chime for a single "DING" is approximately 6 seconds long. This is bad. The power switch on the Xbox, when held for

6 seconds: Turns the Xbox On, then Off, On again, Off again and finally it stays On. This is absolutely horrendous for the circuitry for fairly obvious reasons.

So what I have been trying to figure out is how in the heck do I reduce the duration of that signal to a mere 0.5 to 1.0 seconds max?

I have tried using incredibly small capacitors thinking that it would take a bit to charge and that there would be a small enough trickle effect for it to turn on, but that idea didn't work too well. A resistor is obviously not the right idea. And I am stuck, I do not know of a component that I could use to reduce the signal duration. Any ideas at all are appreciated! If you feel the urge to tell me to get up and turn on and off my Xbox, please don't post, I am doing this out of interest.

Thank you.

Reply to
DyslexicAnaboko

XBox switch doesn't work like that- you have interference with the ding transmission or something is broken.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

So how does the switch work then? I am just going on what I observed and it is the same type of switch I have seen that computers use for powering on and off.

How should the Xbox operate then when pressing the switch?

Reply to
DyslexicAnaboko

It should be a tactile switch that clicks on/off with negligible bounce. The XBox controller toggles its on/off state with every off-to-on, or open-to-close, transition of the switch, it makes no difference how long the switch is pressed. You have something wrong with the ding transmission causing it to ground/unground several times. It could be the doorbell transmitter or interference. Did you test the doorbell set before installation? Like did it go ding-ding-ding on the button press

-or did it just do a single ding?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

--- Learn how to post to Usenet.

"Summarize what you're following up.

When you click "Reply" under "show options" to follow up an existing article, Google Groups includes the full article in quotes, with the cursor at the top of the article. Tempting though it is to just start typing your message, please STOP and do two things first. Look at the quoted text and remove parts that are irrelevant. Then, go to the BOTTOM of the article and start typing there. Doing this makes it much easier for your readers to get through your post. They'll have a reminder of the relevant text before your comment, but won't have to re-read the entire article. And if your reply appears on a site before the original article does, they'll get the gist of what you're talking about."

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

--
You\'ve got your terminology backwards. The switch you\'re referring
to isn\'t called a "toggle" switch it\'s called a "momentary action"

And never mind that Thevenin crap, you\'ve got a switch, a voltage
source, and a resistor.  How are they connected?
Reply to
John Fields

--- Why???

---

Why what?

--- You use the output of the wireless receiver to trigger a non-retriggerable monostable multivibrator with an output of 1/2 a second or so, and you use that pulse to ground the Xbox switch.

---

Do you have any recommended parts/numbers/sites for what you described above?

--- Why not try getting up to turn your Xbox on and off?

And, please, if you feel like replying to this post, bottom post and use context in considertion of all the rest of us.

--

I take it you missed what I wrote at the end of the article... I will repeat myself, "I am doing this out of interest." In other words, for learning purposes.

Thank you for your reply, it has been helpful, I will try to locate that part you mentioned.

Reply to
DyslexicAnaboko

--
Why is it horrendous for the circuit?