LED Display Protection

After spending around 100 hours in 2 weeks soldering my 19,008 LED display I HAD to take a break. I'm trying to finish off my row/column drivers. Durring debugging of the display I do NOT want the LEDs to burn up.

The display is organized as 11 rows and 1728 columns. The display will refresh at about 40hz, so each row will be on for 2ms.

I'm trying to think of a simple circuit that could have been built in the 70s to protect the display. A 555 timer set to 4ms and 11 diodes might work well. As long as the columns kept strobing it would stay on. This would also protect against one column staying on.

logjam

all i got was

RENEW THIS DOMAIN?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

AHHHH!!!!! It expired 7 days ago!!! Thanks for the heads up! :)

Since I am using my own DNS server it kept resolving for me!!! :)

Reply to
logjam

Hmmm? I see all three images.

...Jim Thompson

Why are you driving them with such a low duty cycle? You're asking for trouble. Have you tested this in a small scale before pulling out the soldering iron?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Oops, 1/12.5 isn't that bad, forget my commment.

The requirement is similar to that of a watchdog timer. Maybe 11 timers with the outputs OR'd to a shutdown would be better than one timer.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I got: stockly.com This domain name expired on 05/13/2006 and is pending renewal or deletion.

OP, if you want that domain, you ought to pay up quick, May I suggest moving it to godaddy.com, they have a sale on transfers.

Reply to
Ben Bradley

The name is safe until 2015! I need to change the administrative e-mail to something I actually check! :) Wow, that was close!

The LED is not the best choice for a display like this, but I had

50,000 of them...

It is an HP HLMP-3507.

There are a few threads on the project...

Search for RamWall to find more.

Here is the driver circuit I want to use:

And the master circuit:

Some other random pictures from the project:

logjam

A simple & effecive protection method is to AC couple the drive to the row switching devices. If you are using HC595s or similar columnr drivers, you could do a similar thing using the output enable - use a simple charge-pump type arrangement so it is only held low in the presence of clock pulses.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

wow thats a lot of led soldering, I sometimes dream of making a LED television but with 2 million LEDs for a good picture that would be too much !

wonder if theyl ever get printable LEDs practicable.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Maybe instead you could use 20-30 VGA monitors. Just fake big pixels and use a few microcontrollers to bit bang the color boxes onto the screen.

Hey, that might actually make a good project... Hmmm... :)

Reply to
logjam

ermm, the idea was to be able to hang it on my wall, ie get rid of the bulky CRT, or did you mean the flat panel type ? I have seen large TV displays at places like le mans wich are giant boards made up of small indicators

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

The only reason I built that 7x3.5 foot .4" pitch display is because a few years ago I bought 50,000 green LEDs on ebay for $300. They've been haunting me on a shelf (all 10 boxes of 5,000), so I decided to shell out $350 to have 20 13x13" PCBs etched.

I am DONE soldering LEDs...no more!@ :) I want to interface this LED wall to the Altair. The Altair is all about blinking lights, and I'll have just under 20,000 of them blinking away. ;)

Reply to
logjam