How does digital TV broadcast prevent ghosting effects?

I don't do TVs, but video game monitors weren't too bad in the 1980s. :-)

These days, it's cheaper to buy a new monitor.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yeah, those are old. In college in the 80's I had a Philips that I picked up from the scrap heap and repaired it. They must have bought a screw factory, it had so many screws. Partly transistorized but PL509 H-final, no PD500. It was a fairly compact unit but got quite hot.

Then came the glorious idea of using SCRs and those could die like the flies. At some point I just didn't want to repair those anymore. Unless someone dangled a crate of Grolsch in front of my nose ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

People without the fancy movie and sports add-on packages pay around $45 AFAIK. Supposed to go up a lot in January. Well, they have them over the barrel. So...

It's not the money, I just don't like that concept of being had over the barrel.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'd need a reflector 3-5 miles across because it's not the echoes into the back of the antenna. It's already bounced echos onto an aircraft and doing a 2nd bounce smack dab into the front of the antenna.

Yup, sure is.

The OP wanted to know, not me. I just want things to work :-)

In analog it does a pretty great job, compared to a tube set. In digital, too. The problems arise when ghosts begin to do a rain dance.

I actually did one of those tests because it was easy: Unplugged all terminators from the head-amp feedback node. That usually creates a fine but distinct shadow. Not on this new set.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I no longer have kids living at home, I have no mortgage, I have no car payments. I won't go into my yearly salary but I will say that I could live easy on 1/4 of it. Having said that, I refuse to pay any premium prices for cable or sat programming that is so non interesting lately that I would rather go with out. The only reason I have cable now other than the internet which I enjoy is due to my wife.. I would be happy with an antenna for TV because there's nothing worth watching to warrant cable/sat. We have 2 local movie houses that gives me the option at any time to enjoy my self and pay for a service only when I desire it. Other than that, I may stop at block buster and pick up a DVD now and then.

If you ask me, I think the time has come when we'll start seeing a bottle neck. The economy is so bad that the majority can not afford having all these luxuries they are trying to push on us.. So, with all the corporate greed going on, something has to give..

--
"I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Same here, except that my wife agrees that cable ain't worth it. If, however, we wouldn't be able to watch "Dancing with the Stars" in 2009 that can all change in a millisecond.

Renting, yes, we do that occasionally. Or buy a DVD if it's something we'd watch repeatedly. Our movie theater has become digital and that "new and improved" screen looks way too pixely for me. So we don't go anymore. I'd rather take my wife to the Thai restaurant.

Strange thing is, the people who can least afford it buy new cars, TVs, furniture and so on all the time. No matter how the economy or how safe their jobs. Then at older age their credit cards explode. Sometimes that even happens at a younger age.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg hath wroth:

Oops(tm). I thought it was your question and problem. The OP was Ted Williams, who hasn't posted anything after the original question. Grumble.

Yep. That's even easier. However, it doesn't give you much control over the amplitude and delay of the ghosts.

Anyway, as you were. Ghost Busters will take care of the problem.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On a sunny day (Wed, 28 Nov 2007 01:55:26 GMT) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Yes, in the 1980 - 1984 or so, I used to buy trade in sets like the K6, K9, etc, refurbish those, and sell for a couple of hundred guilders. Very 'green' too (hey an other first) ;-) ) 'recycling', except that the K6 drew several hundred Watt.

Some sets had SRCs in the deflection (2 turning each other off) Blaupunkt? Nordmende?, not sure. In one of those somebody did not do the math right, the transformers were wound with litze wire to reduce losses, but got freaking hot anyways.

Those SCRs indeed was a common fault on those.

Sony had the KV1810 or something like that, it used silicon controlled switches. Their soldering process sucked, and due to bad contacts the switches would sometimes not switch off, both in supply and deflection, BOOM. And smoke.

One TV was not like the other, clearly some manufacturers went to great trouble to make a great set, and did, some models of some manufacturers were perhaps made by the newcomers in the company.... And there was the cost factor too. Philips with K12 did make a real good set, but it was too expensive (they told me), the K40 was the other side, to be precise: the cheap side. The K12 had black current stabilisation in the CRT driver, the K40 did have a lot of things NOT. It all sort of worked though.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

etc,

Hey, I was holier than thou :-)

I just gave the repaired ones away. To families who had a really hard time, asylum seekers and so on. In contrast to them we had it so good. Where they came from those people were often shot at, very sad.

OK, sometimes when I repaired one for an owner I got a reward. Like that proverbial crate of Grolsch. Not so holy I guess ...

Nordmende?,

wound with

I guess they rushed it to market without much testing. Thou shalt not do that.

switches.

Sony made one that was mostly sold as a monitor (without tuner). Nice wood enclosure and almost indestructible.

me),

lot of things NOT.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

And then there is always the evening with good friends. Jim Beam, Jose Cuervo ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I did a an area search, , for 200 km around the lat/long of the Placerville, CA airport as a best guess to see what Joerg could pick up digitally. The only non UHF digital channel is Telemundo in San Jose (12) and I think that's Spanish Language.

UHF antennas are pretty discrete. Unless they still make those 8 foot parabola deep fringe jobs.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

I thought that was "We can't service Muntz TV sets. No one can".

--
  Keith
Reply to

Muntz' "designs" required tubes that were dead-on specification to function properly.

...Jim Thompson

Joerg is so cheap he'll probably resort to learning Spanish rather than get cable ;-)

...Jim Thompson

We do get a dozen or so on UHF. Depending on the weather, aircraft, wind, rain, cat crossing the street and so on. Sometimes it's just a few that come through and you never know which one will croak when.

ROFL!

Yeah, I want to learn Spanish. But not because of tee-vee, it's so I can talk to some of the prodcution folks at clients easier.

How's the hip coming? Just came back from the dentist and it hurts. A lot, so I took a break from work. Of course, being cheap, the $850 hurt more ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I should learn also. The funny in our family is that the Hispanic son-in-law can't speak any Spanish. Several generations back, when his family migrated to LA, they decided they were Americans. How different it is today :-(

Of course both of my oldest... son and daughter are Spanish fluent, just from exposure... the son from working summers in South Tucson while attending UofA, and the daughter from 20 years in Yuma.

Pain comes and goes... seems to be all muscular... as bruises work their way up to the surface. Yesterday it hurt to walk, today I have a honey-do project set up on the saw horses, mounting a spice rack to the back of a crappy hollow door :-(

I know how that goes... Medicare doesn't cover dental, but it covers hips ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Sure is :-(

An engineer at a client speaks with a very noticeable Spanish accent and cannot speak Spanish. His parents are from Puerto Rico.

Exceed a few milli lbs/ft on the screwdriver ... ka-crunch.

No matter what people say about the Bush administration, they did give us HSA accounts. Meaning it's now pre-tax, quite a relief. But the inflation in medical is 10-15%/year, at least :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]
[snip]

The spice rack only has 4 mounting holes, none of which lined up with the flat portions of the door.

So I made an adapter plate of 1/4" plywood... 12 hollow-wall anchors plus construction glue spreads the load. T-nuts inserted before mounting the adapter, then just screw on the spice rack. I think I could swing from it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Ah, but now you were cheap. Couldn't it at least have been a strip of oak instead of plywood?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Gotcha! It's oak plywood, which will be stained to match the rack ;-)

...Jim Thompson