Re: Interesting developments

"Tim Williams" writes:

> [...]

IIRC Iwatsu has analog scopes that go beyond 1GHz.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

You could be right, although there is no sign of them here .

It's been ~30 years(!) since the 7104, so I would think someone would have managed it...

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Ya know, that's an absurdly fast slew rate...

I've gotta wonder, do you get into troubles when swinging the electron beam that fast? Does it just spray out wherever you point it, regardless of the rate? The bend in the beam isn't exactly negligible, especially as the beam isn't going nearly the speed of light, and it has some mass.

I wonder if you can hook up the CRT to a waveguide and get interesting TWT style responses from it. Not at much power of course.

Tim

Tim Williams

"Tim Williams" ...

I remember CRT's with multiple section deflection plates connected by an internal delay line so the "wave" over the deflection plates matched the electron beam speed.

Y+ ----UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ ] | ........................................ > to screen ] | - - - - - - - - - - - - | | | | | | Y- ----UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Arie de Muynck

Reply to
Arie de Muynck

This was called "distributed deflection". It was used, IIRC, as far back as some

5xx series 'scopes. And in any 'scope Tek made that worked over 100MHz, including the portable 454. If you looked at the schematic for the vertical deflection system, it had a wizard on a skateboard (or some such thing).

I don't know if I ever saw a "manual" of high-speed design such as what someone else described. Perhaps that was assembled after I left Tek. It would have been based on the "AFTR" (Amplifier Frequency and Transient Response) course, which was really a wonderful class. I took it when Carl Battjes taught it, and again with Bruce Hofer. They were excellent and inspiring teachers, though they had somewhat different styles. I've found only some of the concepts taught in the course in "outside" references since that time.

------------------------------

Ft doublers and such were really the province of the integrated circuit. Of course, Tek had serious difficulties in the early days of their IC manufacturing. For example, when the 465 was originally designed, it had an IC-based vertical deflection amplifier (which, IIRC, had an Ft doubler). As shipping date approached, they found they couldn't produce enough for it and the 7000 series, which needed the same IC. Jim Woo - another great Tek engineer - took just one weekend to design a discrete version which was used through the entire life of the original 465 (including B, but not the M version). Some years after he had designed this amplifier, I asked him a question about the particular coupling method he had used in connecting the amplifier to the deflection plates. This is a critical area, one of the fundamental limits to the bandwidth of a 'scope - due to the resonant combination of the lead inductance with the capacitance between the plates. It turns out that it hadn't been done by him, but someone in production engineering! He'd never noticed it. Of course, distributed deflection overcomes this limitation, becoming a transmission line (complete with termination resistors, which aren't shown in the drawing above).

Fun times.

-f

Reply to
Frank Miles

Could you expand on this? Circuit topology, theory, etc.?

Tim

Tim Williams

John Devereux snipped-for-privacy@THISdevereux.me.uk posted to sci.electronics.design:

ISTR a 2GHz realtime scope by Tek with a microchannel faceplate, and DVST and scan converters at least as fast. Even that was 20 years ago.

Reply to
JosephKK

Arie de Muynck snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

Yep, Tektronix strikes again. It really improved the deflection sensitivity, to on the order if 1 v/cm as well.

Reply to
JosephKK