How does digital TV broadcast prevent ghosting effects?

The US had digital before you did, dipshit. In fact, your early digital came from here.

General Instrument made the uplink encoders, and every satellite set-top receiver had a GI decoder included in it.

DIGICIPHER, and DIGICIPHER II... way back in the 1990s.

8VSB wasn't until like 2004.

Get a clue, dipshit.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

On a sunny day (Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:48:14 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

I do not get it, that system SUCKS. I am rather low, sea level, lots of houses and objects between me and my 'far away' station (say 40 miles, just checked with google maps), and no bit errors normally. Sometimes there was a hickup (bit-error), but picture then continued. Lemme see oops, my far away station no longer shows up in the channel list. A hundred other new ones though (hardly ever use terrestial, must have been

One remark: Use a good antenna. I have one in the attic. Oh, maybe I need to turn my antenne, there was something about going vertical polarisation.

Wow, and I have it horizontal still :-) Still I get a hundred stations :-) Maybe in the weekend I will turn the antenne.

Joerg, protest with your senator, ask for the European system ;-). LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 23 Nov 2007 10:27:06 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

limit, great system:

Well I did, I already mentioned and gave a link for all the HD satellite channels:

Note that Netherlands is not among these. Belgium, Germany, and Luxembourg are though.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

They make too much money in tax revenues from the cable provider?

Broadcast is free.

But yes, HD programming is awe inspiring.

In football, one can tell how many grams of grass got embedded into the player's jersey when his shoulder hit the deck.

Amazing.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Most of that has to do with the tuner. Some brands cut out the picture completely with drop outs in the data stream. Others show the anomalous picture segments, and only drop out bad sound segments.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

There is a huge log periodic on a mast here.

polarisation.

You don't have mountains like we do. The highest point in NL is 322 meters (I lived on the slope of that one), out here it's over 2000 meters. Watch a Bonanza re-run and you can see the very mountains that cause multi-path out here.

Nah. But I could imagine others will. In the US most everything has to be sold via a brand-new "must have" feature. You can't just go out and tell people they have to buy a new TV so that additioanl tax renevue can be generated by auctioning off some of the UHF band. You have to come up with a compelling reason and that reason is HDTV.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yep. Yesterday I could see a documentary where they had even given the street lamps a spit shine. Then "Ah, you guys forgot that one back there!" What I noticed is that they squish more make-up on the newscaster's faces. The difference is striking when they interview someone out of the blue where there is no time for make-up. Then you can see all the wrinkles and pimples. And guess what? IMHO David Letterman looks a bit older in HD than he used to on our old set. But I don't watch those shows so I have no idea how old he really is.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I've seen that. Interpolation sets in. Then some more interpolation. Then parts of the image kind of freeze up, later the whole image becomes still. Switched back to the analog channel with same programming and saw extreme ghosting and snow but still intelligible.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:15:28 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

I have a Hauppauge USB unit for DVB-T. The software runs in Linux, dvbstream:

grml: ~ # /usr/local/bin/dvbstream dvbstream v0.6 - (C) Dave Chapman 2001-2004 Released under the GPL. Latest version available from

Usage: dvbtune [OPTIONS] pid1 pid2 ... pid8

-i IP multicast address

-r IP multicast port

-o Stream to stdout instead of network

-o:file.ts Stream to named file instead of network

-n secs Stop after secs seconds

-from n Start saving the file previously specified with -o: syntax in n minutes time

-to n Stop saving the file previously specified with -o: syntax in n minutes time

-ps Convert stream to Program Stream format (needs exactly 2 pids)

-v vpid Decode video PID (full cards only)

-a apid Decode audio PID (full cards only)

-t ttpid Decode teletext PID (full cards only)

Standard tuning options:

-f freq absolute Frequency (DVB-S in Hz or DVB-T in Hz) or L-band Frequency (DVB-S in Hz or DVB-T in Hz)

-p [H,V] Polarity (DVB-S only)

-s N Symbol rate (DVB-S or DVB-C)

Advanced tuning options:

-c [0-3] Use DVB card #[0-3]

-D [0-4AB] DiSEqC command (0=none)

-I [0|1|2] 0=Spectrum Inversion off, 1=Spectrum Inversion on, 2=auto

-qam X DVB-T modulation - 16, 32, 64 (default), 128 or 256

-gi N DVB-T guard interval 1_N (N=32 (default), 16, 8 or 4)

-cr N DVB-T/C code rate. N=AUTO, 1_2, 2_3 (default), 3_4, 5_6, 7_8

-crlp N DVB-T code rate LP. N=AUTO, 1_2, 2_3, 3_4, 5_6, 7_8

-bw N DVB-T bandwidth (Mhz) - N=6, 7 or 8 (default)

-tm N DVB-T transmission mode - N=2 (default) or 8

-hy N DVB-T hierarchy - N=1, 2, 4, NONE (default) or AUTO

-b beep with frequency depending on signal to noise ratio (disk align)

-analyse Perform a simple analysis of the bitrates of the PIDs in the transport stream

NOTE: Use pid1=8192 to broadcast whole TS stream from a budget card

The -b option was my contribution :-)

dvbstream works both for satelite and for terrestial, and can also stream the content over the internet via multicast.

I use dvbstream only for terrestial, for satellite I use xdipo, it creates a log file and writes to it anytime a bit error occurs, with timestamp. This is useful if you later need to edit it and re-align audio-video sync, something that goes often wrong when editing a transport stream or mpeg2 stream with missing packets. ftp://panteltje.com/pub/xdipo2.jpg I wrote xdipo, soem related programs too. Most everything is scripted, xdipo has timers too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

So you watch TV via a PC? That would not fly in our living room. I am married :-)

But it's always good to make sure new TV sets are PC compatible so if this while DTV stuff falls off the cliff because of multipath or whatever people could view via the web some day.

minutes time

minutes time

transport stream

Neat! I never saw someone put that much effort into TV reception.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:05:09 GMT) it happened Joerg wrote in :

In my view, now things are still moving, it is best to consider the 'TV" in the living room more a 'monitor'.

That may sound cryptic perhaps, but if the 'TV" (monitor) has a DVI or HDMI connector, then why not let the PC do the decoding, processing, recording, etc... (after all most people will use timeshifted playback I think), and simply update the soft if 'Yet An Other Standard' is agreed on. There is an other issue too. I am way into the sixties, and these days need glasses to see really sharp close by (far away no problem). If I sit in a living room, at say 2.5 to 3 meters from a set, it is too far for glasses, and too close for no glasses. What also counts is the viewing angle:

160 inch at 4 meters sharp without glasses 80 inch at 2 meters.

----------------------------------------- unsharp with or without glasses

40 inch at 1 meter ------------------------------- sharp with glasses 20 inch at 50 cm sharp with glasses ------------

So the question then becomes: What is you 'HDTV' perception? Test it yourself, can you see the individual pixel at your living room viewing distance?

1) yes 2) no

if 1 you are fine. if 2 you are not REALLY watching HD.

This is the stuff they will not tell you in a TV shop.

The alternative:

However this one is only 320x240..... A HD one would work perhaps...

Special TV glasses would work too. But note the viewing angle, to get the same at 50 cm from a 20 inch monitor, you need a 80 inch screen at 2 meters.

My living room is not that big, and I cannot afford a 80 inch screen. Projectors suck, and eat lightbulbs like we eat onions.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

etc...

glasses

I can see them but barely. My wife can't.

Yep. When the one at our church went poof someone said "Here goes another five hundred bucks". But with a congregation of >200 you really don't have a choice.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

A lot of modern video cards can put out HD modes now, so feeding a wide form factor LCD FPD is no problem.

The PS3 puts out exclusively HD modes whether one is under the native game OS (XMB) or a Linux boot.

Many folks use a PC as Myth TV front end, and feed their entire household with it.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

etc...

glasses

Large rooms are what projectors are for.

And multiply that $500 figure by ten.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

etc...

glasses

Our church seats about 300 so it's a pretty large room. The projector hangs from a ceiling pod about half way from the front but AFAIR the bulb didn't cost more than $500. I thought that was already quite outrageous. The display on the projector screen is nice, probably about

12-15ft wide.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, even the new Dell here supposedly can do it. Still have to find out why they didn't send the Y-cable with it that has VGA coming off one end and HD off the other.

Video game are something I'll probably never touch during my time on earth. When I was a kid I built a pong game, from DTL chips pried out of discarded mainframe boards (with my pa's blow torch). Just for the challenge, the millisecond it worked I gave it away.

Makes sense for the serious user but not for us. Since you seem to know a lot about DTV, is there any comprehensive guide that shows what will play on the digital OTA channels? Like those weekly guides that used to be available at the supermarket? Our local paper gives one out each weekend but the digital channels aren't in there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

if the

only

least once

exactly what

original signal

points in

original

original

this

third-generation

need a

you get

all you

usually

locations

system's

I found much the same thing recently but the viewing in the store doesn't tell all. Like listening to stereo equipment in a showroom, the store can change the environment and setup to sell any unit. The VFW where I used to hang out bought a 32" Visio and I wasn't impressed with its real life performance, though it looked "decent" in the store. I ended up with the $1300 variety (42" Panasonic 1080p plasma).

--
  Keith
Reply to

No, they picked 8VSB (for over the air, and a different modulation for cable) because at that time COFDM wasn't developed enough. The US standard was defined before the European one. This stuff has been waiting around for ages, (15 years?), and not really going anywhere.

They made it very complex with something like 13 different screen size and frame rate combinations and the requirement to deal with incoming 1080i with reformatting for smaller displays for decoders. That's made the decoders too expensive and made them wait for "Moore's Law" to catch up. Add that it's not a worldwide market so the volume is lower.

They took so long that there's no US receiver industry left to protect. And Direct Broadcast Satellite and Cable and the Internet has left the decentralized broadcast industry with a declining market.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

etc...

glasses

I was talking about getting a new projector and that cost. If your bulb keeps blowing it is indicative of a bad design.

We use projectors at work on a daily basis and don't have bulb failures at that rate.

For you to know the price of a new one from a previous failure is too high a rate for me.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

A PS3 is far more than a video game. It incorporates one of the most modern CPUs to date, and Sony allows the user to add their own Linux OS to use it as a computing platform.

It is a good deal. One gets a BluRay disc player, a game console, and a PC all in one package!

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored