High current germanium diodes?

Got an old bike with a 6v system; replaced the selenium rectifier with a silicon one but an extra .4 volt of charging voltage might be helpful. Are there germanium diodes out there in the 10-20 amp range? Alternator is rated 6V 50W at 5k rpm.

Reply to
_

A FET rectifier?

Reply to
Den

Schottky diodes are a lot more common in that size range and have about the same forward drop. They have quite a bit of reverse leakage, though.

For example:

Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

Yup.

As would a germanium diode, or selenium, for that matter.

There are bazillions of Schottky types in that current range, so finding one should be easy.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

True.

However, the generator system on older bikes usually behave like current sources, the voltage regulator (if at all present) is a big honking zener or zener / thyristor combination. Forward voltage drop may not be that important.

--
 - René
Reply to

"René"

** The OP is nuts.

The forward drop of the selenium diodes in the old bridge is very likely MORE than that of a silicon equivalent at a current of 10 amps.

Plus it really don't matter at all for battery charging, for the obvious reason you gave.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I may have a few germanium ones in my "junk box." They are old, circa

60's, but may do the job for you. If you're interested, reply to this group and I'll send you one gratis. In return do someone else a favor.

Al

Reply to
Al

Are you running anything but lights? They'll work on AC, you know. :-) (well, incandescents will. ;-) )

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You have 10-20 amp GERMANIUM diodes?????!!!!?!?!?!?????

You MUST post pictures!

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sure, I do too. I don't have many (only two), but I know a guy with buckets. He recently made a linear amplifier with them. [1]

Tim

[1] For those who haven't noticed, a germanium power transistor is composed of *two* diodes. ;-)
--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Everything is (now) LED except the main and dipped beams.

Standard 6 volt auto stuff is not that bright, and especially so when you are sitting at a stop, engine idling. I suspect that charging does not begin until 2500 revs or so; would like to drop that down by as much as possible - hence the thought of eliminating as much voltage drop (and current draw) as possible.

Reply to
_

Oh, Boo. That was a cheap trick! ;-)

Cheers! Rich