Has anybody ever stacked two CPU coolers?

That would be "Skybuck flying High"

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

other name that I can't recall. What was it? You used to blow up stuff an d get mad at the people who made it.

ll smashing the spark plugs in a Renault engine "blowing up". All I did as overrev it, assuming that all modern cars had a rev limiter. but then the French are a bit lackadaisical.

nd up ruining computers and components.

Maybe I'm thinking of Skybuck, but he was always very recognizable because of the spaces between Skybuck and whatever he said.

--

  Rick C.

  +-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

e:

he second

normal steel would be minimal.

they use many. Otherwise they would just use one pipe snaked along the= fins.

nal heatpipes are still almost as hot at the top as the bottom, I'm sure= they could carry more if the top of them was cooled by another heatsink= .

t flow. The issue is how much. I expect it will be a lot less than the= original heat sink.

How long can you keep your finger on the surface before saying ouch, i= s pretty accurate to compare one thing to another. Plumbers actually us= e it to make sure a central heating system is heating the radiators to a= sensible temperature.

ad fan.

The fan wasn't bad, it just wasn't a turbo super fast one.

And since the whole heatsink was hot, taking that heat away to another o= ne would have helped.

l estate in

ard sits on

out of spare

board into.

her than

nce to GHz.

ps a bit. There are 5 such open cased machines there. I wonder if that= 's why my neighbour has installed some kind of WiFi repeater in his gard= en :-) Pissed him off without even trying!

r another name that I can't recall. What was it? You used to blow up s= tuff and get mad at the people who made it.

u call smashing the spark plugs in a Renault engine "blowing up". All I= did as overrev it, assuming that all modern cars had a rev limiter. bu= t then the French are a bit lackadaisical.

nd end up ruining computers and components.

a tractor with the front half on the other side of the road, and the ba= ck half tipped over with the driver yelling abuse?

to the heat

nged.

heat from

me size - the area of the CPU.

If the interface to the CPU was the limiting factor in heat conduction= , then you would not get better performance by stacking your heat sinks = either.

tion is the bottleneck and no changes to surrounding roads makes that ju= nction any faster. If the interface to the CPU is limiting heat transfe= r, and say producing a temperature difference of 20C between the CPU and= heatsink block, and then you make the heatsink colder by a bigger fan o= r a bigger heatsink, you could increase that 20C difference, causing mor= e heat to flow through your so-called "bottleneck". Think of it like a = garden hose, the width of the hose is limiting the water transfer. But = if you increase the pressure, more gets through.

ed by the area of contact to the CPU.

nnot increase that without changing the CPU.

No, people were saying to increase the contact area with the heat source= . Not possible. The heat source is the CPU and is a fixed size.

was to use a better heat sink rather than trying to jury rig

Jerry rig.

.

I see no point in buying something when you own something already that w= ill serve the purpose.

kers do.

hole thing in oil!

the comparison is the value of the repaired item vs. the value of the br= oken item.

I guess you'd buy a =A3500 car and spend three grand doing it up. Oh de= ar.

Didn't discuss what?

s a certain

ottom of the

the CPU

oint.

otten how shit some fans are. 1100rpm to 4000rpm!

they have all the facts. Still wanting to stack heat sinks?

ke to do things the longwinded way don't you? Stacking the heatsink was= the easiest way to fix the problem.

e and you now have altered the meaning.

ny mathematician will tell you, two negatives make a positive. Eg., "I = don't doubt it" means "I think so".

nking to a binary choice. It's not binary.

English is not precise like maths. "Uncommon" could be 1% or 5%.

ou some minimal reduction of temperature at the CPU but I expect "minima= l" to be the important word there.

", a defective fan.

heatsink cools the other three CPUs ok. Either one CPU runs hotter as = it's buggered, or the motherboard voltage regulation for it is off, or t= hat area has warmer air in it.

g correctly. A fan is a very simple device. Hard to say it's not worki= ng right without being "defective".

I never said the fan was slower. Four brand new identical fans, all app= ear the same.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Learn to use a killfile.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And no it doesn't make sense to me either. Zero source impedance would surely put the full voltage into the load and a higher current.

Since the top of the 1st heatsink was just as hot as the bottom, I'd say quite a lot.

Doesn't matter as much.

What if it was impossible to get a fan powerful enough?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

:

ote:

te:

he second

, but that is not the case when the impedance of the load is fixed.

rrect in all cases. In a stereo the impedance of the load is fixed, the sp eaker doesn't change.

nge anything there is nothing to compare. So again, you fail to understand what I wrote.

left.

u get the most power into the load?

urely put the full voltage into the load and a higher current.

Exactly what it does. You seem to fail to understand what you are reading. ..

"Whenever a source of power with a fixed output impedance such as an electr ic signal source, a radio transmitter or a mechanical sound (e.g., a loudsp eaker) operates into a load, the maximum possible power is delivered to the load when the impedance of the load (load impedance or input impedance) is equal to the complex conjugate of the impedance of the source"

See the first few words set the conditions for this rule to be valid?

So it seems I was right when I wrote, "That shows you didn't understand any thing I wrote".

des for the optimum power transfer. That's why power supplies are designed with very low output impedances. Same thing here, only the guy is trying to optimize his costs, rather than ultimate effectiveness of the cooling.

o attach them, but adding a second heat sink will most likely improve his c ooling. The only question is by how much.

o faster from a start by dumping the clutch. Doesn't mean it's a good idea or "sensible". Read what I wrote... carefully.

p with because of a failure to diagnose the real problem, lack of air movem ent. Clearly the idea of fixing a lame fan by adding another heat sink is a lame idea.

owerful fan.

much heat would have found it's way into the second heat sink.

quite a lot.

Not really. Equal temperature does not imply equal heat carrying. You you rself said you only measured the temperature with your finger. Elsewhere y ou talked about the thermal interface with the CPU being the limiting imped ance, not that it is true. The point is you are all over the map on this t opic.

d the real problem and got a fix. The idea of stacking heat sinks is not v ery practical and may or may not have "worked" since there is no clear defi nition of "worked".

Whatever that means.

It is important to actually understand a topic if you are going to analyze it. Otherwise you are just a hack trying this and trying that. Not that t here is anything wrong with that method. Some awesome stuff has been built by trial and error. But you need to recognize when you are doing that and not insist that something would have worked because a part of the heat sin k "felt hot" to your finger.

It's time to give it a rest.