Hamamatsu thermopiles

So on this science listserve, I said that Hamamatsu makes cheap thermopiles, like these,

Reading the fine print these all come with 3-5 um AR coating or even narrower BP at 4.5 um. They plot the response of the tp out to 20 um and I wonder if they sell a version with no IR AR. Or if you can decap one.. (or is that a death warrant?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Dunno. We use the wideband ones in some of our fire detection gizmos, and they work great.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

OK are they like ~$50. There was a link to 'klinger' thermo- pile that cost $1.5k! And then someone said you need a spendy electrometer to read it... 18 second response time!

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

Nah, thermopiles are low-Z. Just use a cheap noninverting amp. Don't try combining the thermopile and thermistor in analogue--that's much better done digitally.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Right sorry.. (there's a lot of physics types that only 1/2 know what they are talking about...) here's the klinger thing

150 ohms.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold