good cheese

Slowman, You must work out. You are such a virile village idiot. I was giving you (and Larkin) a second chance... but, sorry, back on the filters. ...Jim Thompson

I make an exception for such a downer as Slowman.

?-/

Reply to
josephkk

Bullshit. That just more excuses for your constant rejection in the job market. They don't need idiots, braggarts or pains in the ass so it's obvious to everyone but you why no one wanted you around. The last several jobs that I held were no problem getting past HR, and some of my designs are in orbit.

Yes, I have and I would have never hired an idiot like you. I would have closed the business, if you were the best candidate for the jobs that were open. It would have made more sense, than to piss away money while trying to coddle a loser like you.

The reasons for closing my business were two: My failing health, and the inability to find people willing to follow company policy. The last couple started out OK, then started taking 'shortcuts' and developed attitudes like yours, so I fired them.

Michael A. Terrell

SHHHH!!!! Sloman doesn't need to know the truth!

Michael A. Terrell

--
Is English your first language?
Reply to

[snip]

My grandchildren call me Opa... at least 7 of the 8... the youngest calls me "Grandpa".

Will you ever have grandchildren? I doubt it. But that's a good thing... cut off replication of bad DNA.

I am thinking of doing an "LDO's for Dummies" presentation, using your "design" as one of the examples of how NOT to apply compensation :-) You really blew it... or rather copied it... I remember seeing that very same architecture here many months ago. When I track down the message-ID.... ...Jim Thompson

I have two so far. They call me "John." Everybody calls me John.

The Brat's friends were scandalized. "You call your father John?!" She always had, so it seems normal to her. It worked out well, because she works for my company, and it would look weird if she called me "daddy" or something at meetings.

I can't claimed to have invented that sort of thing; I've been doing simple stuff like that for 40 years or so and can't remember the first time. I did post some active current mirrors with the same compensation... maybe you're thinking of them. You didn't complain at the time.

As I've noted here, I could have added a resistor in series with the comp cap and snapped things up a bit, but it wasn't necessary. I don't see how you can cite as a bad exanple, a circuit that took under an hour to design, worked first time, and works fine in production. The entire board works fine, rev A, no prototype.

Unlike you, I can't simulate my overall designs. I have to design it right the first time.

You, and JT, are determined to disapprove of anything I do, which means you have stopped thinking. That happens to some geezers.

A mirror and a capacitive load in the loop are two different animals. You don't remember my complaint, because I don't recall seeing your "version" (remember, I had you killfiled at the time)... what I did see, and comment on, was a different poster's very same schematic.

Time and quality? Bwahahahahahaha ha!

As I've pointed out innumerable times, I design mostly on paper, then simulate over corners... which you never do... you don't know how... you just pad load until stability is achieved.

There you go stumbling and bumbling... or do you assign me two personas ?:-)

It's so much fun to wind up John "the bungler" Larkin's spring ;-)

Everyone here is invited to participate. ...Jim Thompson

Then those cuts and jumpers you're so proud of were planned?
Reply to
John Fields

JL is now an admitted "gramps", so doesn't that make him a "geezer" as well... particularly given his, "You, and JT..." :-) ...Jim Thompson

I simulate simple stuff like this LDO. It would take months or years, and cost hundreds of kilobucks, to sim this entire board. We wouldn't have the time. I do the design and layout before the FPGA or the ARM code are done.

I put in the dump resistors to handle the case where the FPGA gets configured and goes from near zero load to lots of load in nanoseconds. Without the dumpers, the opamp would have to slew a lot farther. Even you should be able to understand that. That's just when a bunch of critical PLLs are starting up. I put a bunch of output capacitance for the same reason; no closed-loop regulator is going to track nanosecond load steps.

Why are you whining? Dual opamp, dual mosfet, it's cheap and it works.

You don't like the dump resistors because you couldn't do that on-chip. I don't have that limitation. This system needs its own power sub-station, and spans three floors of a wafer fab, so I don't lose sleep over another couple hundred milliwatts.

I meant you and JF. It's hard to tell hens apart.

Yeah, the old hens JT and JF won't talk about electronics, so maybe somebody else will.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
[snip]

Poor baby. Everyone in the world understands the falsity of that statement. ...Jim Thompson

One cut, two jumpers on a board like this isn't bad. One was a misinterpretation of the polarity of an optocoupled PCI Express sideband signal; the PCIe spec is, like, 1200 pages long. One was an error in pre-assigning an FPGA clock pin as an output, when it couldn't do that. The FPGA documentation adds up to around 2000 pages.

The FPGA is a 780-ball ARRIA II GX, a part we'd never used before. We pre-assigned all the pins at layout time, and got *one* of them wrong. We had several test points run to spare pins, in anticipation of maybe needing a hack or two. It works. You don't.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You haven't said anything substantive about why my LDO is bad, or how your design would be better. All you've done is whine.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Indeed.
Reply to
John Fields

NOTE (of interest to students): It's standard Larkin ploy to redefine the problem onto someone else, "Design a regulator, gramps."

I never claimed to be able to design a better regulator (though I can), I simply claimed that Larkin made several fundamental errors in the compensation, which he did, and that's why it's slow.

If you're at RIT or RPI or hundreds of other universities, ask your professor about me.

Then remind yourself of the Larkin "epitome of doofous" diversions.

And be sure to watch for my up and coming dissertation, "LDO's for Dummies" (and doofi). ...Jim Thompson

"Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was, 'Oh no, not again.' Many people have speculated that, if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thouth that, we would know a lot more about the nature of the Universe than we do now." -- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

I know just how it felt.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

...Jim Thompson So you stay in the box while others (JL) for example, tries things out side of the box and when they work, he uses them, however, you insist that because it does not fit in your box it is still wrong ?

Ok, I guess I can understand that, maybe. As I and many others may have noticed, simulators do not always speak the truth and since simulator models and tools are created by those that do it on "PAPER" as you say, there is no difference.

Using sims or using paper, if you stay in the box, you may end up getting locked in that box.

Unfortunately, those that stay in the box can't explain how things worked that were designed out side of the box. They refuse to investigate in fear they may learn something and put a fork in many concepts they have come to believe as the golden rule.

I see the same scenario going on with our physics. People coming up with new concepts of how something may actually work that makes better sense, gets knocked down by those that have grown accustom to that box they live in.

You can say what you wish, but with your years of experience, you can't say you never had to step outside that cardinal set of rules to design something that does not fit in the box and it actually worked.

I am sure my point that I am making here won't go anywhere. There are way to many sheep grazing on the ponderosa lately.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

't'ain't my fault. ...Jim Thompson