good cheese

The DC output is rock-steady. So I don't know what you mean by "unstable."

It _does_ have too much gain

Not mine, either. The wall-plug power of the laser that I'm controlling is about a megawatt.

It can't be wrong, because it does what it was designed to do, and works fine.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

From his demeanor, over the years, I think he came from lowly lineage,
had an abusive upbringing, and has a driving need to prove that he's
no one's underling, so he retaliates with whatever force he thinks is
required to unhorse his critics.

Consequently, instead of accepting correction or criticism, when it's
valid, he lashes out with all sorts of machinations designed to
discredit the critic.
Reply to
John Fields

message

I am sure if you even get it out of the hole, we'll never hear the end of it.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

What does that mean? Are you descended from nobility? If so, should we care?

Absolutely not.

and has a driving need to prove that he's

Well, I've always been unmanagible, but now I have my own company, so I get to work three times as hard doing what I have to do.

I've never been anyone's "underling."

so he retaliates with whatever force he thinks is

The LDO works fine, exactly as intended. The whole board works fine.

Why don't you design a voltage regulator that we can review? 1.5 volts in, 1.2 volts out, half an amp maybe. Go for it.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

[snip]

Thompson:

Larkin:

NOLA Trailer Trash ;-) ...Jim Thompson

You and Fields are cackling old hens. You want to my-o-my about personalities and don't say anything about electronics.

Design a 1.5 to 1.2 volt LDO that meets your noble, aristocratic standards. Post it, presumably with your redneck family coat of arms on the schematic.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

message

Yeah, he's been milking his thermistor-based temperature controller for a decade or so. That seems to be the high point of his life, so far.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Damn! Gotcha so low, you're having to steal invective from Slowman ;-) Hee! Hee! Hee! ...Jim Thompson

Design a regulator, gramps. And don't just copy mine. Do something original, if you can remember what that's like.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Basically, that you're the offspring of white trash.
Reply to
John Fields

--
Why should we bother?

It's apparent that you just want to fight instead of talking about
electronics in a friendly way so, in deference to those of us who
enjoy discussing circuits, why don't you just run your business and
get the hell out of Dodge?
Reply to
John Fields

Bloody hell slowman. CV is for professors, not for working folks, = rewrite the thing as a resume and hide the DOB. Either that of go back to trying to be a professor.

Reply to
josephkk

I offered my LDO to the group in the most friendly way, and your heart-throb didn't approve. So let's see if he can do anything but cackling.

I doubt it. He's almost as electronically helpless as you are.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

This week? Three manuals, checking one PCB layout, testing some SMB connectors, and one fun thing, trying to tune my new pulse generator.

How's this?

The next version needs more swing, 6 or 7 volts maybe, enough to drive an e/o modulator directly.

Up to the age of about 12, sort of. Not after that. But even as a kid I wasn't an "underling."

No circuits from you, sounds like.

Gutless.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

,

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Calling Jim Thompson a redneck isn't invective - it's just reiterating an obvious fact.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

:

te in message

r-with-I...

ology Inc

elated

's

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

l,

:)

hat's

u need

in

's

as a

.

ve

ome

I published the circuit at a point where I didn't have anything better to do with my time, and the paper has been cited a lot more than anything else I've published. It represents about six months work. The electron beam tester that probably does represent the hight point of my technical career kept me and a couple of other electronic engineers busy for some three years, and pushed the state of the art - rather too hard as it turned out. We did get it working, but marketing decided that they couldn't sell quite enough machines fast enough to justify getting from the prototype to full production.

We did publish quite a bit about the design, but nobody cites it - the publications were produced early on, to whet customer interest, and don't contain anything in the way of experimental results. We should have been able to publish some interesting results from the prototype, but we would have needed to co-opt a potential customer with some kind of interesting integrated circuit that needed testing. At that stage of the project the creep in charge had decided that he wanted to go off and start up his own company, and was spending all his time working on that, rather than persuading potential customers to come in and play with the prototype.

I bitched about the absence of potential customers to Cambridge Instruments managing director once or twice, in reaction to passing comments about the fact that we'd got the machine working. He may have got the message - I had enough contact with him that that sort comment wouldn't have been unexpected, but there's no way that he'd have given me any kind of reaction.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

ite

ng

The Dutch are birth-date conscious in a way that no American could imagine. Newspaper articles routinely include people's ages, apparently on the basis that you can't understand what people are actually doing if you don't know their exact age.

And I gave up on trying to be a professor in 1973, not that that had ever been an actual ambition. I might have dreamed of a professorial level job with a national bureau of standards if I'd known much about that sort of institution at the time, but in fact that was the point where I junked my Ph.D. in Chemistry and got on with being an electronic engineer, despite my lack of formal qualifications in the area (which didn't worry the IEEE when I joined some ten years later).

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

e in message

-with-I...

logy Inc

lated

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

,
)

at's

need

s a

me

Pure envy. Jamie obviously has nothing to boast about.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
Methinks the gentleman doth protest too much.
Reply to

It's not my problem.

But I have a solution for your intransigence:

All around the world (even in Japan and India, as lurkers here have provided amusing video links) university professors use my standard product ASIC designs as teaching examples because they are perfect examples of the mathematical and structural symmetry necessary to get properly working circuits, in spite of lousy absolute process tolerances. (The real reason my first OpAmp design still sells... while low gain, ~6K, it's rock solid, come hell or high water.)

Since you posted your aberration publicly I will pass it (and all future Larkin aberrations) along to those professors to use as examples of bad design/tweaks required/don't "design" this way.

Enjoy ;-) ...Jim Thompson