gold!

A 144in^2, sure will! ...and $7.50 is also a damned good price for a board this large, in production, too.

Reply to
krw

It will be a test circuit, to maybe improve the performance of a machine that costs $110 million. I intend to make it look nice.

Precision electronic instrumentation

We paid $220 for the two boards, $110 per square foot.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Yeah, the $7.50 comment was about the cost of the gold on the board, not its price. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Here's a breadboard, made with the gold FR4.

I've got to work on style a bit, but it's promising. It solders beautifully and should still look good when it gets to the customer.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Nice. :-)
Reply to
John Fields

bling bling.

What sort of tape is that under the Bellin Systems boards? I usually use a largish drill bit to get rid of the bottom pads of the PTHs, so they don't short out to the ground plane.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Just 3M foam tape, like the picture-mounting stuff. Doesn't short to the ground plane as long as you don't dump a huge lot of solder onto the pads.

Hmmm, maybe I can deliberately do that and get grounds.

The power busses are crazy-glued down, your suggestion. The challenge is to do that without permamently attaching your finger to the board.

Precision electronic instrumentation

WHY have those 2 left connector wiring crossed when there is NO need? The blue and orange wires can be straight, shorter, and non-interfering...

Reply to
Robert Baer

--
Or your tail...
Reply to

We always value your insightful technical contributions to this newsgroup.

Precision electronic instrumentation

I know, it was really disappointing to have those wires overlap. But I wanted the signal path connectors to be inline, and the gate input to be offset.

Life really sucks.

Precision electronic instrumentation

But not, obviously, my acerbic wit.

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

Obviously.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Style over substance?

Tsk, tsk, tsk...
Reply to
John Fields

Pay attention. The wires overlapping was substance over style.

Best to do as much as possible before then.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Short, direct connection is substance; abrogating that for the sake
of appearance is style over substance.
Reply to
John Fields

You can also use small bypass caps to tie down the power rails.

--
Mikko OH2HVJ
Reply to

p.

I'm sure we will appreciate it when you get around to producing some.

adjective \?-?s?r-bik, a-\ : expressing harsh or sharp criticism in a clever way

So far you have managed to cover the "harsh" part. "Sharp" and "in a clever way" seem quite a long way off. "Insightful" isn't a tag I would have appl ied to your contributions either. John Larkin's threshold for "insightful" is quite likely to be lower than mine, but even so I suspect that he might have been being sarcastic.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to