nice little camera

I complained a while back about a digital camera that required driver installs and had nasty menus and stuff. Sent it back.

I just got an Olympus VR-340 and it's pretty nice. 10x optical zoom, auto-macro and super-macro modes. This is just a car/vacation camera, about $85.

It's pretty clean, obvious menus. It has a rechargable battery, which is nice.

With a FAT32 formatted SD memory card inside, it appears to my PC as a flash card, so no driver installs are needed, and there are no stupid Microsoft file restrictions. Any program, like Irfanview for instance, can open the files on the camera.

It comes with a plug-in USB charger, but I assume it will charge from a computer. How would it know?

Precision electronic instrumentation

Den torsdag den 17. april 2014 03.54.26 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

if it is like almost everything else USB it will charge from a computer, though possible only when it is off

and most PC can't charge with 2A like a dedicated charger

I bit the bullet and bought a new phone, always have it in my pocket anyway excellent camera and it will automatically transfer images to dropbox when ever is has a wifi connection (or data connection if you let it)

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

There's a protocol (actually several) for the charger port to tell the chargee what current it can supply. It uses divider resistors on the (otherwise unused) data lines.

Here's a M*x*m chip that emulates chargers:

So it could charge much slower, and at least it's possible, it could refuse to charge at all, depending on their intent and what's inside the computer and how well it pretends to be an adequate charger.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The camera can recognize the charger by the DC voltages on the data lines (D- and D+). While there are defacto standards for powering Apple, Android, and other devices, there's nothing to prevent Olympus from inventing their own "standard" thus requiring purchase of a genuine Olympus charger.

You can get a USB charger tester: I have one on order, but it hasn't arrived yet.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

It does charge from my computer's USB port.

And it has a really good interactive HELP system built in!

Precision electronic instrumentation

"John Larkin"

** Like so many others, it has NO optical viewfinder - which makes it near impossible to use outdoors in sunlight.

I have owned two Canon pocket cameras, an A430 and an A1200 which DO have optical viewfinders. They work well and even track the zoom lens as it goes through its range.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I'm looking for a low cost video camera...The cmos sensors in cell phones should create them, I figure. In looked at one around $1000 - waiting patiently for that to turn into $200. It's all beach sand, right? :)

Reply to
haiticare2011

Wow, they'll discontinue it immediately

Reply to
WangoTango

That $85 Olympus has a super-macro mode that focusses to 1 cm, which means the lens is almost touching the object.

The problem with that many pix on a small camera is holding it steady enough.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

have

it goes

-fujifilm-x-pro1

reativeASIN=B006UV6YMQ

More likely just differently.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

That's why we have tripods and such.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

object being photographed. I made a little LED ring light for such occasions. With 14 Mp, I can use Irfanview to zoom in on a tiny areaof the resulting photo and still have a sharp, high resolution image.

Not if it has image stabilisation. My wife's latest camera - the Panasonic Lumix Digital Camera DMC-XS1 - has it in a very slim package, which suits her. It replaced a similarly compact Casio Exlim EX-S600, which doesn't have image stabilisation.

She started off in photography lugging around big Nikons (and got me to lug the heavier accessories from time to time) but got converted to cameras small enough to go everywhere with her, all the time, when digital image sensors hit 5 Megapixels.

She was moved to the most recent upgrade when her friends started taking better pictures with their I-phones (which do have image stabilisation)than she could with her Casio (which doesn't).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Apr 2014 14:46:39 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Yes, but to get close up views yo udo not need mega-pixels and expensive cameras.

Hole in PCB:

Any cheap webcam wil do if you can adjust the lens:

Cheap webcam with on screen data display from my FPGA frequency counter and home control system;

;-)

This is with 2 logitech E2500 webcams before adjusting stereo alignment:

The setup:

Need to buy some of those stereo glasses some day, those are getting cheaper.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

$85 is not very expensive.

This is a PTH with a plating defect on an inner layer. This board had lots of them, even though we'd paid for bare-board testing:

Kinda fuzzy. These were done with my inexpensive Sony camera:

all rescaled down for posting.

Taken through my Mantis, again with the Sony camera:

(note the wirebond in the LED)

Fuzzy.

(that's my gold-plated FR4!)

(laser driver breadboard, unplated copper)

I document breadboards and prototypes with photos of whiteboards, the hardware, and scope pictures.

Precision electronic instrumentation

On a sunny day (Sat, 19 Apr 2014 09:28:58 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Yes that is all very nice, my Canon A470 in macro mode, when on tripod can do real cool pictures too (usually set auto timer to 2 seconds, so it really is no longer vibrating). But for that camera .. grab the moment:

So many cameras here, more on the way:

Macro:

But still 16M pixels is a lot. The big problem with these digital cameras versus a mantis is the latency, its slow, annoying if you have to do soldering for example. So for that I have some small PAL cameras, and small monitors:

this is just a few hundred TV lines resolution, but no latency:

The PAL cameras look like this, you can turn the lens and get really really close:

This is Canon A470 looking through a cheap microscope wit hEL backlight experiment:

In short you can make things as sharp as you want... It all depends on what you want the pictures or video for.

Jan Panteltje

I like stairways. San Francisco has lots of stairways. There's even a paperback guide book.

Actually, I mostly like to take pictures.

Precision electronic instrumentation

On a sunny day (Sat, 19 Apr 2014 10:51:11 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

No stairs here:

Green energy...
Sheep...
Farming:

Occasional bridge:

Jan Panteltje

I grew up in New Orleans, flat and hot, mostly below sea level. The highest I ever got, as a kid, was Monkey Hill, 12 feet high.

That's why I like SF. It's so three-dimensional, which means it has views. And it's almost always cool.

These are 2 blocks away:

I couldn't stand living in a big city like New York, all concrete and steel.

Precision electronic instrumentation

You guys do mud really well, though. Even better than the Welsh, which is going some. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Sat, 19 Apr 2014 12:26:13 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Thats is very nice, really.

definitely need grass cutting ;-)

I grew up in Amsterdam, but lived in many different places... Skyscrapers do not really bother me... Lived on a top floor for some years, overview of the whole city, expensive.

See my reply to Phil for more pics..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje