prototype pcb boards

I just ordered some pcb prototype boards from China via Ebay. They are Ebay item # 301003473093 They look like they would be handy for small projects.

But thought I would ask the group if there are any that people think are better.

I would think that someone would sell pcb boards that are exactly like one of the solderless bread boards, so one could work up a circuit on a solderless board and then transfer to a pcb for a permanent circuit. But I have not found such pcb's.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I think Radio Shack still sells them.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I've seen them at both Fry's Electronics (I don't know if that's a local thing in my area or not) and at Radio Shack.

Reply to
Daniel Pitts

Fry's is a West Coast thing. I wish there was one here.

I had forgotten about Radio Shack. They do indeed have pcb's configured the same as solderless bread boards.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I used to work at a place that had proto boards made up that consisted of holes on a 0.1" grid. Each hole had a 0.075" square pad. The pads were not grouped at all, just pads on a 0.1" grid.

Good for thru hole ics etc, some SOT stuff, smd passives could be placed between pads. To link pads they could be jumpered together or just run a solder blob across the gaps. Quick & easy.

Reply to
Kennedy

Before I could simulate my chip designs, I bread-boarded them like this...

(1/2 of a full-size version. This dates back to the late '70's. I no longer have any of it left, but I still have the films.) ...Jim Thompson

Better with a ground plane on the other side, with nice big keepouts so DIPs and passives don't short out, e.g. Vector 8007, which is my personal fave when I have to use perf board.

Generally perf board protos are much flakier than dead bug ones, I find, as well as much slower to construct.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Good idea, added ground grid to my prototype area.

http://173.224.223.62/power/screen.jpg

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Every once in a while I need to whomp up a circuit on a solderless breadboard, either to test out whether something will really work in the real world, or (more often) to do a bit of signal conditioning or make a signal big enough to drive a cheezy speaker or some such.

Less often, but still often enough, I then need to make that circuit permanent -- when that happens, I use those critters from Rat Shack.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I like to build live-bug on plain copperclad.

Precision electronic instrumentation

On a sunny day (Wed, 19 Feb 2014 09:32:11 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Wow, 3D!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You could build a house, or an airplane, from soldered bits of FR4.

Imagine kits of pre-cut, labeled pieces.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Where do you get your copper? I used to ask the purchasing guy to get me 12"x12" 2 sided blanks from the board house, wasn't a problem for him to get 3 or 4 at a clip.

Martin Riddle

ebay, usually.

Scotchbrite or Soft-Scrub will shine them up nicely, makes them easy to solder. Phil pointed out that crazy-glue sticks things down pretty well, especially if you scruff it up a bit first.

I want to get some gold plated. Those protos get tarnished and grody looking after a few weeks.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

In the event that the Rat Shack doesn't, or discontinues them, there's always Vector boards. Mouser has a pretty good selection. You want to find the general area in their catalog on their on-line ordering system, then look at catalog pages for the rest.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Hello Sir, The most cost-competitive and best quality PCBs are now sourced from India, followed by Vietnam. So, if you are trying to get boards for any serious work, you have to contact some manufacturer from there.

Reply to
dakupoto

Nonsense. The best are still made in the US (expensive, though) but the absolute *worst* I've seen are from India. Absolute junk from companies that have no idea what they're doing (don't even know Ohm's law). If you want to save money, go to China but steer *very* clear of India.

Reply to
krw

for months, for prototypes and low volumes Ships by DHL WWW + USPS Use coupon youpcb to get 30% off. e.g. 10 PCS, 10x10cm double side FR4, solder mask on both sides, for $32.40 USD shipped.

Reply to
brisk5181