gold!

I finally got a PCB house to gold plate some copperclad FR4 for me, so my breadboards won't get all tarnished and grungy in a couple of weeks.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Immersion Gold, how much? thickness? Price?

Reply to
Martin Riddle

0.062, 1 square foot each, gold both sides, $100 each. I didn't specify the gold thickness.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den fredag den 28. februar 2014 23.19.44 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

I believe normal gold is about 4 micro inch thick so if my math is right about $7.5 worth of gold per side

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Ever tried storing them with 'shrink wrap' ?

Reply to
TTman

Did you have them put Nickel under the gold? If not, they won't keep very well. The gold will alloy with the copper over time, and the trapped hydrogen (or maybe trapped acid or something) will turn the copper into a horrible black mess, which will eventually eat through the gold.

In the early lead-free days, I had a board house talk me into gold flash (I guess this is electroless gold directly over Cu). Sure looked good at first, but it didn't solder reliably, and every pad that didn't solder became a HUGE nightmare to get a proper joint. The technique was to lever up the lead with an Xacto knife, scrape the pad until shiny Cu was visible, tin and then resolder the lead. WHAT a headache! The longer the boards sat or were in use at a customer's site before rework, the harder it became.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

This is the current standard, "immersion gold over nickel", which is a few microinches of gold over a nickel barrier layer. You'd need a lot of pure gold, hundreds of uin maybe, to keep the copper from diffusing through.

Nickel isn't solderable, but the immersion gold over nickel solders beautifully somehow.

I just got a call from a guy who needs a goofy analog gate circuit, for a laser thing, and I'll build it for him this weekend. He'll be impressed with a gold breadboard.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Nice. I wonder what would happen if one would cut this up into tiny snippets and sprinkle them into the water near West River Street in Truckee. That might make the evening news.

A real bling-board makes things look like a million Dollars.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's just evil!

Reply to
krw

Hah! I heard on the evening tube-news the other day that people are finding gold in parts of Ca. that have dried p in the current drought...where the heck did I put that shovel...

Reply to
Bill Martin

I think that was Joerg's point. ;-)

Reply to
krw

We just came back via a road next to the Cosumnes River. Despite driving rain there were a few gold panners out there. They looked worse than almost any homeless people I ever saw.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

New gold rush!

The low water levels are actually encouraging a mini-gold-rush. You can make something like $100 a day if you know where to pan.

To bad this one is a freebie.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Very nice. Now your customers know what they're paying for. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(who just emerged from Server Purgatory, due to the failure of a Chinese PSU)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My first goldie breadboard will be for Daniel R. I remember the day that you and he went wild computing the vibrational modes of a liquid droplet. I was impressed, especially that anyone would be willing to think that hard.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Well, at USD 7.5 a piece, one could easily obtain a 4 - 6 layer PCB, silk-screened and solder guarded. The clients for the PCBs under discussion must have deep pockets to pay USD 7.5 just for a gold plating on contacts.

Reply to
dakupoto

On a sunny day (Fri, 28 Feb 2014 14:30:42 -0800 (PST)) it happened Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in :

:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

--
Nickel is solderable if it isn't allowed to passivate, which is what
the gold film keeps it from doing.

Or solder, which I believe is the case with most MLCCs -- tin plated nickel endcaps, so they're still easy to solder. At least that's what I've read, as they're trying to get away from using pricey palladium there.

I have some mil spec cable, "mineral loaded teflon" jacket, beautiful wound stranded construction. Nickel plated copper strands (not silver plated!). It's not *un*solderable... but it sure takes a long time and a lot of heat for regular rosin paste to get the job done.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

so

it's $7.5 per side and it's for a manhattan style prototype, the gold is just for looks

and a single protype 4 layer will PCB will cost alot more than $7.5