Netlist to Veroboard?

I've recently taken up my electronics hobby again. After basics like cleani ng up my shed workshop etc, I'm re-learning a lot of basic stuff I've forg otten during the last 15-20 years. This includes using my CircuitMaker 2000 Pro 6.2 software for schematics design and simulation. But I've no wish to take up PCB making again, so won't be using the accompanying TraxMaker pro gram. However, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any software that will take the netlist that CM creates and convert it to a Veroboard design please?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Reply to
terrypingm

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 9:23:43 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

ning up my shed workshop etc, I'm re-learning a lot of basic stuff I've fo rgotten during the last 15-20 years. This includes using my CircuitMaker 20

00 Pro 6.2 software for schematics design and simulation. But I've no wish to take up PCB making again, so won't be using the accompanying TraxMaker p rogram. However, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any software that will ta ke the netlist that CM creates and convert it to a Veroboard design please?

I don't know circuit maker. At one time Eagle had a "student" version that was free but only did 100 pins (or something). There is gEDA that I used some. I t hink on all of those you have to layout the pcb for yourself.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Google?

In my experience, for simple prototypes Veroboard has been sort of more trouble than it's worth. I just use ordinary "blob board" and connect things up with lines of solder/jumpers.

Reply to
bitrex

There is this program:

You could also look at 'Fritzing' which may be useful on protoboards that mimic the solderless breadboards- it seems popular with hobbyists. Never used it myself, but have been annoyed by others using it.

Nothing is going to automatically go directly from your netlist to anything usable- placement and routing- without a lot of input from you.

You might want to consider having real PCBs made .. a lot has changed in the last decade or two and you can get real PCBs (2 layer) made for really cheap prices if you're willing to wait a couple weeks. With solder mask, silk screen on both sides etc.). You'd need layout software that will output gerbers and NC drill files to get the most flexibility, but there are outfits with their own software (that ties you into using them for fab) and some will take the design files directly (okay for hobbyists).

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Here is one way to do it:

Switch your layout software to 2-layer and 0.1" grid. Place the parts so the most connections can be done horizontally. Via and make connections that must be vertical on the 2nd layer. The 2nd layer is then hand-wired. Can be diagonal also if needed. Wherever there are new nets staring horizontally you have to use you finger-drill tool to sever the traces.

However, this all falls apart when you must use SMT parts. Today I have to and so it'll be Sauerkraut-style, can't wait for a PCB turn-around.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hi Terry

I have the PCB making kit, but would not bother using it now.

One thing that has definitely changed in the last 15-20 years is the fact that you can get professional quality circuit boards made for next to nothing, and shipped too if you are prepared to wait.

The going rate is now $14 total, shipped, for 10pcs of a board

5x5cm. 10x10cm is $25. Through hole plated, solder resist, legend, cutouts, everything.

Like these guys:

There are half a dozen others with similar pricing,

In fact I bet it's cheaper to layout a veroboard pattern on a PCB, and get 10 made, than it is to buy actual real veroboard!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I like to Dremel copperclad FR4 instead of using Veroboard or those terrible plastic block things.

Thanks all, appreciate the suggestions. Not sure if my relatively simple circuits are worthy of PCBs but will check out UK suppliers.

My post was prompted by wasting half a day trying to isolate a problem with a simple Veroboard circuit. Turned out to be plain carelessness - failure to make one cut in a track.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

terrypin

UK suppliers will be 10 times the price for low quantities I'm afraid. It's fine, keep using veroboard if you are comfortable with it.

That'll do it!

good luck with your projects

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Perhaps not 10 times. It might be worth trying

- they seem to be a copy of OSHPark, but for those in the UK the delivery could be faster. I have not tried them so I cannot comment on their service.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Hey nice I was not aware of them. The design rules are a bit restrictive but no problem for Terry if he is making things on veroboard!

--

John Devereux
Reply to