gluing electric blanket wiring for DIY blanket?

After being fed up with commercial electric blankets not lasting more than a few months, I am building my own. It will use 20 feet of Teflon coated wire with a total output of 40 watts from a 12 VDC source. I am running into a problem with how to attach the wire. I'm just going to use my old, non-functional fleece electric blanket. The thought was to just glue the wire across the blanket in a zig zag pattern. However, I'm not sure what glue would be suitable as I am worried about possible melting. A few years ago, I made some nylon fabric traps and glued them together with hot glue. They've been in the sun many times and the glue has held. Would I be able to use high temp hot glue to glue the Teflon wire to the blanket? Note that I can't sew so that is out of the question for me.

Reply to
Runner

Try it on a little piece.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

What you mean: you "can't sew"? How difficult can it be? Are you aiming to produce something decorative?

Reply to
Mike Coon

Alternative: buy some iron-on tape and glue it around the cable without trying to attach to the cable itself. So the cable is in a pocket. The cable will not get so hot that it opens up the pocket; if it does that the whole project is too dangerous!

Reply to
Mike Coon

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. 8 minutes before posting this you asked (on S.E.R) how to get the resistance of your wire. Without the resistance, you must be assuming that the 40w will come from a 3.3A, 12v power supply. But with very low resistance (as your wire almost certainly is*), you'll get your 3.3A, but at a much reduced voltage (assuming that the PS doesn't shut down on over current). Then you'll have much less than 40W & you'll be cold .

To get the 40w from your 3.3A (assumed), 12v supply, your wire's total resistance would have to be 12/3.3 = 3.6R. Once you know the resistance per foot of your wire, you can figure how long it will have to be. For copper wire of reasonable size, that could be 100's of feet.

  • - electric blanket wire is different than regular wire - it's resistance (per foot) is much higher. I salvaged some wire from an old blanket and its resistance was/is an ohm per foot. 50 times greater than 22ga copper wire at .02 ohms per foot.
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

ou

the

u'll

sistance

For

n old

er

I figured it out and I'm laying under it now. I didn't like the amount of power that was being generated at 12 V (84 watts), so I went with 5 V

and did a quick and dirty method of checking amps as wire length was reduced. It turned out that 20 feet of the wire uses 11 amps at 5 V. So, I took the 20 feet and glued it in a zig zag pattern on the blanket with the hot glue. After two hours of continuous use, absolutely no melting of the hot glue so far and the connections are cool. The warmest part outside of the blanket is actually the wire leading to the power supply. I borrowed the original wire that was with the Sunbeam blanket, but its gauge seems to be thin. If it gets too warm, I'll have

to upgrade the power wire to something thicker.

I guess one good thing here is that I will need an additional blanket or

two covering the electric blanket once the house gets colder. It's 63 F

in here now and I have a dollar store fleece blanket on top and I'm comfy .

I did notice something during my experiments. I at first applied 12 V through the entire wire length (I think it's 60 feet or so but not certain). At 12 V, there was 7 A used. Although wattage was more, the wire seemed cooler than it is now at 55 W @ 20 feet. My guess is because less wire means more power per foot even with less wattage than there was at 84 W.

If I would have had a cheap way to control output, I would have gone with the 84 watt version. All I had on hand was a PWM dimmer used for dimming LED light arrays. Although rated for 12 V @ 8 A, it burned up almost instantly. I wasn't surprised, but not sure what I would have used to vary output.

Reply to
Runner

I have vivid memories of an electric blanket starting a fire in my parent's bedroom when I was a kid. How confident are you that you can can be more fire-safe than an commercially produced one?

Even if it doesn't melt in use, I don't think hot melt glue will hold up well to repeated movement.

Sewing is not hard. Easier than sewing? Fill a hot water bottle from the kettle and put it in the bed every night.

Elijah

------ selected an extra large kettle for the hot water bottle needs

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

You won't be gluing teflon wires with hot-melt glue - the glue won't stick.

Teflon melts at something like 500 F, and teflon-based fabric used for radomes and enclosed tennis courts are bonded using a lower-melting kind of teflon as a "brazing" alloy.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

You won't *glue* the wire, as such, more embed it in a blob of plastic -- as long as hot-melt goes under AND over the wire :)

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike