It's got me beat ...

Genus Type R portable DAB radio. Nice elegant looking unit. Nice simple (I think) problem, but how the F#@! does it come to bits ????

35 years daily experience of finding hidden screws and clips and twisty pressure points, but nearly an hour of probing and testing cracks and gaps with knife blades, I'm still no nearer.

So does anyone actually know ? Not really looking for suggestions, as I've probably tried them all anyway. Just if anyone knows for sure the trick of it, please share ... !!

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I've seen similar in that you have to remove the handle to release the innards, I forget the make for the moment

N_Cook

maybe this one off my repair briefs

Roberts R727 radio 1989 Undo base and push down the handle to release and expose 2 bolts

does that make any sense?

N_Cook

"N_Cook" wrote in news:gk8mpm$t7m$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

I'd second this, have you tried removing the handle?

me

Arfa..... years ago I saw a very similar looking radio by Braun. I noticed that the pins in the handle rotated with the handle. Pulled out on the handle at the pivot point. Afer handle off, the guts slid out of the frame.

Regards Lee

Reply to
Lee

Newsgroups

Its on Youtube.......nice

Archon

Yes, as I previously said ... :-) And yes, I'm familiar with the practice of securing the innards via handle fixing screws, but as I explained earlier, the handle fixings are damped rotating bosses, to which the handle is screwed. These bosses appear to be a tight press fit or some such in the wooden side panels. There is no visible method of releasing them, and the very small amount of the outer non-rotating part which is proud of the wood surface, is completely smooth.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Yes. I too found this. Shame it doesn't show you how to get it to bits ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Yes Lee. I too have seen all manner of similar arrangements. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the trick to this one. I really honestly have tried everything that many many years of service work at the sharp end has taught me about getting into stuff, but this one is a total mystery. I even took it back to the shop that took in the repair, today, and let their two lads have a go, but neither of them could get into it either. I'm sure if we ever find out, it will be something really simple, but for the moment, simple or not, it's all a bit Penn and Teller ... >:-\\

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

practice

handle

the

wood

Warming up and removing label with hot air ? Thin steel blade, slid in any crack, to release internal catches like a lot of computer stuff ? After that its find a weak point/edge that can later be disguised. The only time I did that, for some effects unit, I had told the owner beforehand and he supplied me with a "Keep music live" sticker to go over the damage.

N_Cook

I suspect Arfa's assumption that this unit was designed to snap together is correct.

Is there a local dentist who'd be willing to take a few X-rays along the edges? (A shame shoe stores no longer have X-ray machines!)

One other possibility... Is it possible the back is to be pushed inward and pulled down?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Chain saw then you know next time

Reply to
F Murtz

Jigsaw.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Try this method......

George.

Reply to
George Vest

LOL !!

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Yep ! That'd work. Perhaps I should refer the owner to that clip, and ask him if it's ok to proceed in that manner ... d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Arfa..... have you sent an email to the manufacturer?

Regards Lee

Reply to
Lee

This is very common in cameras. Some of them have 'fillers' in the screw holes over the screw heads to prevent 'dimples' from showing in the leatherette.

Reply to
1D10T

I've had success with hot air -- from a heat gun or even from a high-powered hair drier. A lot of adhesives get a lot less "grabby" when they're warm. If you use a real hot air gun, be careful you don't crispy critter it, though.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

Running

Agreed, I would run hot air over that leatherette until it will peel off. Even if no screws found it gives a place for hacking in with hot blade, or burr etc and then use the leatherette to cover over the damage after patching up.

N_Cook