liquid electric tape?

Anyone here use it and what is its durability? How about melting temperature in warmer environments? Thanks.

Reply to
Jezebels_couz

I have used it on connections between coax and antennas. Never had a problem. Regular PVC black electrical tape either splits or looses it's sticky after two years due to the UV here in the Central Oregon desert.

Liquid tape in bottles turns solid after about two years.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

I bought a can of this stuff at the local hardware store: My first use was to patch cracks and cuts in several expensive rubber cables. It went on fairly easily but hardened a bit lumpy. It lasted about a month before pieces started falling off. There might have been some contamination (grease, hand oils, solvents) involved, but it was too late to check. I later used it for rubber microphone coil cords, which also crumbled after a few weeks of movement. This time, I gave the cable an acetone wipe, which should have removed any grease.

However, the lack of durability was not the major problem. It was the can. No matter how hard I tried, I could not keep the rubber compound from getting into the threads on the lid. Once the stuff hardened, it was impossible to remove the lid. I tried various straps, clamps, pliers, pipe wrenches, and solvents. Nothing would get the lid loose. After losing the contents of 2 cans in this manner, I gave up and decided to find something else.

No clue on melting temperature.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Unless you have some special requirement I would advice self-amalgamating tape instead.

Reply to
Rob

Check Glyptal.

Reply to
Tom Kupp

I'm a regular with liquid nails when wiring up construction sites and I kno w the feeling trying to recover goop, sparkle, other tube/can/bottle conten ts. I guess ultimately two channel locks going in opposite directions migh t crush or damage the bottle if wet rags don't cushion the jaws. I've seen where you could use a belt to unscrew an oil filter near a car's engine for an oil change.

Reply to
bruce bowser

Jeff Liebermann used his or her keyboard to write :

My experience is similar.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

I tried it once. Was not impressed, seemed to crack off after a while. What I have used that I really like is rubber electrical tape. Ethylene pr opylene and silicone rubber electrical tapes have the highest dielectric ra ting of electrical tapes, as much at 70KV. I use 3M 2228. I learned about this stuff during my first engineering job in a blast furn ace construction site. the controls I designed interfaced to some beefy mo tors. One of the electricians that followed me around was tasked to replace one of the motors because it was not what I specified. As I watched him w ire the new motor, he used that rubber electrical tape. Neat stuff-the ove rlapping wraps fuse together to make a rubber jacket. Long lasting in hot a nd cold environments. Follow up with a few wraps of good electrical tape - I like 3M 88 or for everyday use, super 33. Good luck J

Reply to
Three Jeeps

It costs about $1/ft: I've used it on radio towers and found a problem. The self-fusing glue is so tenacious, that removing it from a connector is almost impossible. For situations where you're certain it never needs to be removed, it's great and quite waterproof. For RF connectors that need to be removed, I use 1" wide PTFE (Teflon) tape for waterproofing, covered with 1 or 2 layers of Scotch 66 to hold it in place. When the tape wrap is removed, the connectors look like new.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com

There is a product called Sugru, it's not liquid but rather a very resilient rubber putty. Cures in a few hours, It's mold-able and comes in several colors. I've used it to repair things and reinforce cords where they exit devices. Handy stuff.

Reply to
tschw10117

propylene and silicone rubber electrical tapes have the highest dielectric rating of electrical tapes, as much at 70KV. I use 3M 2228.

rnace construction site. the controls I designed interfaced to some beefy m otors. One of the electricians that followed me around was tasked to replac e one of the motors because it was not what I specified. As I watched him w ire the new motor, he used that rubber electrical tape. Neat stuff-the over lapping wraps fuse together to make a rubber jacket. Long lasting in hot an d cold environments. Follow up with a few wraps of good electrical tape - I like 3M 88 or for everyday use, super 33.

Yes, good point - it is rather tenacious. If the connection needs to be re worked in the future, it is a little tough to remove it. I've tried teflo n tape on occasion and found that it slides and shifts around so much that it is hard to get a clean wrap so to speak. One good thing is that teflon tape has a very high dielectric strength, something like 6kv at 0.001 inch thick, (or is it 0.001? i forget). It would do quite well in RF applicatio ns. J

Reply to
three_jeeps

Late on this, but there is a material called Bond-Tech GS 112 rated for ele ctronics and cables. It is also food-safe and stable (solid) to 85C +/- 5C. This stuff is NOT meant to be re-worked, nor would I think that any liquid

-applied material would work well that way. It would have to dry out in a w ay that does not adhere to the substrate to be easily removable. Which seem s contrary to the intent, unless very temporary.

Just a thought.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

:

[...]

What are some foreign equivalents to the jeep or Humvee (HMMWV)?

Reply to
bruce bowser

G-Wagon Unimog

Borh by Daimler.

Wolf by Land Rover

Sherpa by Renault

All that I can think of, offhand. There must be more.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

In WWII, the japanese used something called the type 95 by Tokyu Kurogane I

pe 82) from Hogan's Heroes.

Reply to
bruce bowser

The Russian Lada Niva is considered one of the most rugged SUVs.

Reply to
Chuck