Looking for tips on speaker cone repair

Looking for tips on speaker cone repair.

Years ago, I used rubber cement and toilet paper on the rips. Any better suggestions?

Reply to
tubeguy

Use a flexible glue and tea bag paper. Do NOT use any of the silicon rubber based glues.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Use Aleen's Tacky Glue with tissue placed on rear for best look. Elmers Shool or Glue-all will also work on center portion. Aleen's is flexible and I think Glue-All is flexible, not School Glue.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

ISTR using record sleeves long ago for the paper. Re glue it needs to be a bit flexible, but not too floppy like silicone.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There are many different kinds of cones, and each type has different option s.

For run-of-the-mill AA5 speaker (cheap), they usually crack rather than tea r. A soft-set hot-melt glue across the tear usually does it. Do a zig-zag f irst, then cover the tear completely. Hotter the better, so the glue soaks into the paper. By the way, there is nothing wrong with hot-melt glue with silicon admixtures if applied hot enough. Other than the cost. And of one uses archival-grade glues, oxidation is greatly reduced. It's only money - and six sticks will do, likely, 120 speakers, so the cost-per is minimal.

Most cone paper is very hard to retain rigidity in use. What goes back need s to be able to accommodate the hard paper so as not to tear again on the s eams.

This stuff is ideal:

And a lifetime supply for a few bucks is not hard to take.

None of these beat professional reconing, but many applications are not wor thy of that expense

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

How about just reconing it, it's not difficult. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Its an old 8 inch speaker that I got in a box of electronic odds n ends at an auction. It probably came from an old consel stereo. The tears are from being abused during handling, not a dried up cone. Its the old black paper. I was going to remove the fairly large magnet and toss the rest of it. But I connected it to a radio and even with the torn cone it had good sound. So I decided to repair it.

Due to availability of glues, I used Elmers rubber cement with toilet paper strips. It's solid now, and has good sound. Ill probably hang it on the wall above my bench for a test speaker. It sounds much better than the 4 inch table radio spkr that I have been using.

Reply to
tubeguy

It is a mater of getting the cone. And the voice coil has to match. Either that or you got a hell of alot more work to do.

Reply to
Jeff Urban