Generac 5244 DOA

I have just installed a Generac 5244 generator. I bought it from a dealer that does not service in my area (I know, I know....).

I hooked it up (and made absolutely sure everything was done according to the specs...)

About two hours into the break-in phase, it failed. The windings apparently failed (according to a service tech I talked to on the phone). The breaker on the genset never tripped, and I had a Fluke Clamp meter on it the whole time. It is a 16kw LP and 15kwNG unit. I never got above 7.5kw. The generator produces no AC output, and in the bottom of the unit there are pieces of copper wiring that have apparently been burned off.

I live in an area hit by hurricane Rita last year, and the local Generac service people I have had contact with have waiting lists of up to 6 months. The only company that has agreed to take a look at it wants a credit card on file for trip charges ($75 and "fuel surcharges" just to take an initial look at it) and estimates it will take 6 weeks to get it operational (2 weeks to make the initial service call, part needs to be sent to Generac, tested, sent back, schedule follow up).

The dealer, who will remain unnamed at this point, has been of little help. It seems to me that a brand new generator that fails initially should be replaced. I purchased the unit on May 2nd, and still have no resolution. Has anyone had a similar experience, or does anyone have any advice? I just get the runaround with the dealer...

Thanks, Brad

Reply to
jbgreig

Call the factory. My dad bought one and the weekly 20 minute run timer didn't work. There was an ECO that wasn't done, and there was a wire left out of one of the wiring harnesses. They sent three people out before someone who knew what the hell they were doing arrived, took one look and fixed it in a couple minutes without charging my dad a cent.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Reply to
K `Sleep

So, go Ebay and by Hodna.....

Oh.... You know.....

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Sorry to hear about your Generac experience.

I would start with trying to make a detailed diagnosis. Trace what is working and what is not, open stuff up, take pictures, post them, etc. Try to make fewer assumptions and prove everything, as you go.

A few burned wires do not mean the end of the unit, maybe something rubbed together, caused a short and burned -- and could be replaced. That you say that they are "on the bottom of the unit" suggests that it is auxuliary wiring, not burned out generating head. How is the smell? etc.

How is the generator end coupled to the engine end, are they supported separately with a flexible coupling, or tied together in a rigid object?

If it is the former, you could possibly find yourself a different generator head that could be fitted.

I also suggest to include alt.energy.homepower in your crossposts. When I was restoring my Onan diesel generator

it was very helpful. rec.crafts.metalworking is also full of very experienced people.

Here, unlike with Onans or Kohlers, you are dealing with some very cheap design "for homeowners", everything overrated and undersized, so be careful about throwing good money after bad. Either a quick fix, or else I would sell it on ebay as "known broken".

Some other desperate people whose engine heads failed on similar units, may be happy to buy yours.

Ignoramus11754

More importantly, contact Generac directly with a detailed explanation of the problem. I contacted them years ago about ordering a wheel kit for one of their 5kw units since I couldn't find it locally and they just sent me one, no charge. Just because it's a "consumer" line doesn't mean the manufacturer doesn't support it.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.