raspberrypi DOA?

I have two raspberrypi Model Bs that seem to be DOA. When I plug in the SD card, Ethernet cable and power, I just get the Red Power LED to light. Nothing else. I have a raspberrypi A that works fine. I have swapped SD cards, Power supplies and ethernet cable between all three. The cards certainly seem dead.

Is this a common problem?

Have I done something stupid?

Reply to
Julian Macassey

Power supply issue? Model B requires more current than Model A.

James

Reply to
James Harris

I read a report that they've only had two units returned as DOA's so I'd say not.

Are you sure your PSU is good, in particular that is can supply enough current.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Using the 1 Amp PSU from adafruit.

The Rasberrypi. Get yours too. raspberrypi.org
Reply to
Julian Macassey

Check the side earlets holding the SD card against the contacts. I had one with a broken side. It did work as long as I pushed the card to the contacts from the top of the card.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

The Farnell recommended one is 1.2 Amp, but if you don't have anything plugged into the USB ports, anything above 700ma should get the Pi booting. My B runs fine off the USB port on the back of an LG TV with a wireless keyboard and wireless remote control transceivers plugged in.

--
    ???????????????
    ? ? ?     ?   ?

I have a USB PSU that looks like the one you got from Adafruit except that its white and has a UK 3 pin base. Its a Chinese no-brand unit with a type code of CAB5201. Input is 100-240v 60/50 Hz 150mA, output is 5v at

1000mA. I just swapped my Farnell-supplied charger for it and booted my RPi off it with no problems, ran top and df, saw exactly what I expected to see and shut it down. I have a 512MB model B which I'm running headless over Ethernet via SSH, i.e. there is no USB power use at all.

HTH

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Checked that. Seating nicely.

--
The Rasberrypi. Get yours too. raspberrypi.org
Reply to
Julian Macassey

hen

That sounds enough - as long as your PSU matches its spec.

By the way, when you say you have swapped the Ethernet cable I presume you mean the video cable. AIUI Model A doesn't have an Ethernet port.

James

Reply to
James Harris

By model A I mean the 256M RAM model, the other two are the 500M RAM models.

--
The Rasberrypi. Get yours too. raspberrypi.org
Reply to
Julian Macassey

My model B has 256MB RAM. That's what all the first batch had. If it is one of the early ones, try leaving some hours between testing it to give the fuses time to reset.

--
    ???????????????
    ? ? ?     ?   ?

El 14/04/2013 20:05, Julian Macassey escribió:

Beware with the micro USB cable, I got one from Velleman with six ohms (it was made with iron instead of copper) and my Rpi B showed only an oscillating power LED, refusing to boot. Found the cause, changed the cable and everything went fine.

--
Saludos
Miguel Giménez

. When

Ah - if it has an ethernet port it is NOT a Model A. It is probably a Model B early revision so ignore my earlier comments about power. There may be some but I'm not aware of any extra power requirement for later Model Bs.

James

Reply to
James Harris

Could this be the problem?

Allan Bennett

Reply to
expaddler

Revsion 2 has a larger RAM chip which may consume a little more power, extra IO terminals which could if you connect them to something and mounting holes which almost certainly don't.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

To confuse matters, not all Rev 2's have more RAM.

The Model A is Rev 2 and it has the same original 256MB of RAM, and the very first batch of Rev 2's still only had 256MB, so there are some Rev

2 Model B's with 256MB.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Yep, I have a Model B with 256MB (purchased last July) and a 512MB Model B bought in February.

Reply to
Bob Martin

I have one old one with 256MB of RAM that does work. I have newer ones with 50M that don't work. I just plugged in a new one 500M that does work. Yes, I have swapped, power supplies, SD cards and Ethernet connections. The dead ones are dead.

--
The Rasberrypi. Get yours too. raspberrypi.org
Reply to
Julian Macassey

(A side note on the fuses:

What did you think of the reply by "expaddler" in this thread? I notice you didn't reply to that post but it sounded a possible cause of the problems you are seeing.

James

Reply to
James Harris