Fried Grits

That is all very reasonably priced.

I like the "draught" beers :-)

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's "downtown" sort of pricing. We're more used to entrees being in the $8 range, with portions big enough for a second meal at home.

John

The classic "biscuits and gravy" looks like something the dog ate and didn't like. But it's awfully good, done right.

John

"Sweetie darlin'"

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

You're too kind, Jim! Thanks again for your hospitality a couple of weeks ago.

We were down in SC in July and went so far as to visit Cracker Barrel to try collard greens and such like (is that as bad as going to Taco Bell to try Mexican grub?), but never have had Southern home cooking.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Cracker Barrel is pretty good for "down home" style. There's even one here in PHX that I go to once or twice a year. My main objection is that the portion sizes are HUGE!

I haven't been in a Taco Bell since back when they first opened.

I'll take you to Aunt Chilada's the next time you visit.

...Jim Thompson

I think that answers itself - no.

Reply to
David Eather

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixtamalization

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Don't forget to add "Bless your heart"

Reply to
comp.arch.embedded

I was always sort of lukewarm about grits until I was introduced to "Shrimp & Grits" in Memphis. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it...

Reply to
comp.arch.embedded

--
Eeww..;)

I haven\'t tasted one like that yet, but there do seem to be two common
varieties, both cream gravies, one used to cover biscuits and the other
used to cover chicken-fried steak and the like.

The one for biscuits is usually pretty close to Paula Deen\'s,:

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/pauladeensbiscuitsandsawmillgravy.shtml

and the one for chicken-fried steak is usually like:

http://www.texascooking.com/recipes/texascfs.htm

Enjoy! :-)

JF
Reply to
John Fields

--
BTW, when I was growing up in the Panama Canal Zone I found that Tartar
sauce and French fries were made for each other.

Later on, in Texas, I found that French fries and cream gravy are too.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

You missed a hilarious movie!

...Jim Thompson

The Brat invented the side order of sausage gravy as a dip for french fries, at Mary Belle's in Auburn, CA.

John

Well, since she\'s yours, I understand why you want to issue her
unwarranted credit but, unless she started out with the intent of
consciously _inventing_ a culinary delight, I suggest it was more like a
serendipitous accident.

A _discovery_, don\'t you know.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Well, she did it on purpose, ordered a cheesesteak sandwich, fries, side of sausage gravy. That's invention, not discovery. The menu didn't even mention gravy as a side, but Mary Belle's is very accommodating.

Their cherry cobbler is astonishing.

Bratinella is doing our PCB layout these days. Pretty well, for a softball+psychology major.

John

Yeah, for $19 it oughta be called polenta.

Nah, grits, cheese or not, won't stay down long enough.

Reply to
krw

With sausage, your heart needs to be blessed.

Here in Baltimore, replace "hunny" with "Hon".

Also, grits in Dixie-speak is properly pronounced with at least two or three syllables:

"Gree-Yi-Yets"

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

Grits and Polenta aren't quite the same. Corn meal mush is closer to Polenta. Around here you can buy Polenta at the grocery, in a form quite like a meat stick... just slice and fry.

...Jim Thompson

The Canadians discovered that one a long time ago:

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams