Fried Grits

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Fried_Grits.JPG

I've been eating grits my whole life, but it's just being discovered by high-end restaurants. Last night we had, among other stuff, smoked pork cheeks on a bed of spinach and grits, at Wexler's. It was $19. We used to eat grits because it was cheap.

Cheesey grits is good, too.

John

What are "Grits"? - I know they are a part of Tex-Mex cuisine, but nothing else.

Reply to
David Eather

Were they _organic_ grits ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

With the pork or was it $19 just for grits? That would be quite outrageous. But in S.F. the grand total just in taxes would probably be north of $10 ;-)

That'll really drive the cholesterol through the roof.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Grainy white corn meal, sort of po-folks version of polenta. It's traditional through most of the USA south.

"Grits" is always singular.

John

And don't order them with bangers, that'll out you as "not from around this here town" :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Us real southern boys eat "Hominy grits is grits made from nixtamalized corn, or hominy" (Wikipedia ;-)

...Jim Thompson

They usually served grits at breakfast in the chow hall. The guys who hadn't grown up with grits thought it was cream o'wheat, and put milk and sugar on it. The southern guys laughed at us carpetbaggere, while buttering, salting, and peppering their grits. :-)

Customer in restaurant: "I'd like some grits please." Waitress: "Hominy?" Customer: "Oh, five or six ought to do it."

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Howcome you put your coffee in the gravy pitcher and the gravy in your coffee cup? ;-)

Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The undocumented aliens in the Alabama grit harvest are used for flavor only.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

What's "bangers and mash"? Bangers are sausages, yes, but what's mashed? Potatoes?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Grits, eggs, fried ham (real, salt cured ham, not the watery stuff from the supermarket), fresh hot scratch biscuits, and hot black coffee.

Kill me now, I'm ready to go 'cause it don't get no better!

"Are the grits ready, yet?" "Yes, they are."

or

"Is the grits ready, yet?" "Yes, it is."

Although, more typically: "Grits?" "Comin'" ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Yes, mashed potatoes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

No, usually "Comin', fixin' to bring'em over ta ya, hunny".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That was the "Plate of Pork"

The other cool thing was the "BBQ Scotch Eggs." Somehow they managed to breadcrumb coat and deep-fry two eggs and have the insides wind up perfectly poached and runny. I can't begin to envision the thermodynamics of that.

It was all really, really good.

John

[snip]

Same way you do fried ice cream ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Didn't you ever see the movie My Cousin Vinny?

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

Warm maple syrup, Peet's coffee.

John

Huh? Next time you visit I'll have "N" make you biscuits and gravy ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I thought southern gravy more resembled something like hot mayonnaise

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany