Fried meter

I was using my little analog meter in dim light. I thought it was off so set it to 250 volts and probed a 120v circuit. There was a flash and a smell. Turns out I set it on 50ma DC instead of 250vac (opposite side of switch). Well the voltage meter still works and the ohm meter still works, I thought it blew a fuse but I guess that is just for ohms. So what blew? Why no fuse? I can smell but can't see, must be on the back side.

--
Claude Hopper          :)

?       ?       ¥
Reply to
Claude Hopper

I'm not the one to ask because I'm addicted to instant coffee. ;-)

But I do own a Fluke - but wouldn't use it for what the OP was doing. I prefer a pukka one designed for electricians - this sort of thing:-

Which is easier to use on mains. The Fluke tends to stay put in the workshop.

I can believe it - but like all good tools is worth the cost.

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a variety of go/no-go mains checkers so none of my meters would ever be in contact with the mains unless I specifically wanted to check the mains voltage was within spec.

What I think is the real lesson for the OP to learn is: Never mess with a mains outlet in inadequate light conditions..

Reply to
ian field

Got an email flyer from one of my suppliers pushing Fluke meters. Idly glanced at the spec of one to notice it was made in China. Is nothing sacred?

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bad idea. Then you forget to move it from current to voltage plug, and just turn the dial to volts. BANG!

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Why does sour cream have an expiration date?
Reply to
Peter Hucker