For Joerg: No more *PHUT*?

Not that you could use this anywhere, of course...

JW

guess it is a response to this:

and it is in stock at digikey, farnell etc.

that blf578xr is still in "development" and the datasheet isn't even available

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Its from NXP. Trust me, it will do *PHUT* in a real fault situation.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

That would be quite suitable in pulser apps. But NXP (so far) staunchly refused to release SPICE models, meaning I won't use their RF transistors for that and it has cost them business. I absolutely don't understand their behavior in that respect but there's things on earth that man can't understand ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I tried to get a SPICE model of a switching regulator from National recently, and got a very helpful apps engineer who ran several web bench simulations for me, but didn't have a model to share.

_I_ can run National's web bench, and when I do I can actually plug in the numbers that I'm looking for instead of the misunderstood crap that he did.

Like NXP with you, National lost my business on that one. (chances were high it was going to be a microprocessor -> gate drive -> FET anyway, but they certainly lost out on whatever chance they had to start with).

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

I completely fail to understand why companies sometimes behave that way. TI lost a design-in on a regulator as well, similar reason. Web Bench has so far never been useful for me. It typically resulted in some message like "The design cannot be completely with the values ... yada, yada, yada". And they are all in full production now :-)

While I don't do many IC designs (but some) I know that every time we did extensive SPICE sims. So the models must be there. Now I can understand why they want to keep a chip under the cloak of secrecy. But an LDMOS device? Not releasing SPICE models for that is almost the perfect definition of "leaving money on the table". Well, the competition gladly took it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

utm_source=UK&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

I know that most SPICE models you do get are behavioral, and that it's work to get a model that's accurate enough for circuit design yet doesn't shove hair crosswise up the butts of the Defenders of the Intellectual Property.

So I understand the impulse not to do SPICE models at all.

But it still leaves me severely disinclined to design in products, and it leaves me favorably inclined to folks that _do_ publish SPICE models, even when I know their models are 'just' behavioral.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Come to think of it, I could supply a "XBP-BP13" xenon flashlamp, which would resemble many used in "1-time-use" cameras and digital cameras.

I could give a guaranteed "safe area of operation" - anode voltage 850 to 1350 volts, flash energy .1 to 500 megajoules, with average power dissipation over any period including more than one flash attempt not exceeding 1 watt. After the flashlamp goes through a flash attempt without flashing, it can be warranty-returned (entire flashlamp must be returned) for customer's choice of refund or a replacement flashlamp, and no more.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to

I actually like National Semi's WebBench. Then again, I use it only for stuff simpler than microprocessor-controlled.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to
Don Klipstein

FET models are usually not behavioral. There isn't much IP value in them either. If someone wanted to disect a FET in order to copy it then SPICE won't help them much. They'd have to send it to a materials science lab for slicing and tear-down, along with a big fat check. So why they don't release those SPICE models is something I really don't understand. But oh well, what's the old sales mantra? If you don't take care of your customer, someone else will :-)

And it's not that they don't give out info. They usually furnish models for high falutin RF simulators that cost as much as a Cadillac. Many folks don't have that, and it's often not all that useful for pulse apps anyhow. S-parameters aren't all that helpful there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg
[snip]

Most systems-on-a-chip are modeled behaviorally; and not very well. Most companies that inquire what I charge for a good model, decline my services. :-(

...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

Yet they will likely not have a problem paying a lawyer 10x that amount for setting up some contract. Been there, and that company went kaputt. As expected.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The real question is: "How well do these work for audio amplifiers"!!! ;)

Reply to
DonMack

*PHUT* ?:-) ...Jim Thompson [On the Road, in New York]

Oh, they should work well. The gold plating makes sure that electrons have the correct traction but not too much, don't uncontrollably slither around, and the music sounds crisp. The mounting bracket forms a beker, to make sure none of the sound spills while in the trainsistah.

Of course, when uncle Leroy bangs against the wall and claims his teevee is on the fritz ever since you fired it all up that means it oscillateth and that pretty soon some of the neighbors will come visit, with pitchforks and all that :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

*PHUT* *PHUT* (in stereo)
Michael A. Terrell

That's because a Lawyer is a professional.

Oh, wait...

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

From what we know about Joerg I take that PHUT would mean PHilips Unobtainium Transistor.

Is that right?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

NXP transistors are usually not unobtanium. What is often unobtanium for their RF transistors are SPICE model. They don't always release them which is IMHO a serious business mistake. Or at least a costly one because they lose design-ins for that reason.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to