Opamp frequency mixer

So as a hobby project I'm thinking of building a tiny little theremin using some of those Soviet subminiature pentodes that are really cheap on eBay. Unfortunately, it seems that the most complicated part of the project would be the frequency mixers, as I don't think they really made subminiature heptodes and a "proper" mixer would probably require two tubes.

I'm thinking about going solid state for the mixers in the first iteration at least...since the RF is so low I could probably just use a dual opamp with sufficient GBW. There was this article but of course all the links to the schematics are broken:

Can anyone suggest an opamp mixer topology for the low 100s of kHz?

Reply to
bitrex

This would be the genuine Soviet method:

But why heptodes? Here they show one with just ordinary transistors so it could also be done with triodes:

They have also been built with ordinary triodes and pentodes:

If it absolutely has to be semiconductors I'd use the MC1496.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'd go with the MC1494... if you can get it. It has the level shifting built-in... quite adequate for audio, and immensely eases the pain of doing your own level-shifting. ...Jim Thompson

Nice! Thank you!

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that one.

Reply to
bitrex

Looks like a nice chip, but if this exercise turns out well I might make a PCB and do a small quantity run...and yeah, oooof. Mostly non-stocked here, and while there seem to be some available new from China, they're really expensive! :-(

Reply to
bitrex

I second the thought of using a MC1496 or MC1494 if you're going to use semiconductors. The NE612 may also suit, but you'd need level shifting.

But you don't do tube projects unless you're planning on using an excess of parts. See if you can find a pre-1964 ARRL Handbook and look through it for mixers, or do a search on "tube mixer circuits" -- there's a lot more ways to do it than with heptodes, that's for sure.

You could make a 180 degree shifter and summer by making an appropriate transformer (probably at least mildly resonant at good toob impedances) from signal A, with the secondary center-tapped and fed with signal B. Feed a pair of triodes with the transformer outputs, and poof! you have a single balanced mixer.

Or, you could use one miniature heptode.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

The LM13700 can be used as a four-quadrant multiplier...it has a unity gain bandwidth of 2MHz and a slew rate of 50 V/uS...seems like it should be fast enough to use at low RF?

Reply to
bitrex

With tubes it doesn't have to end up in excess, except for power consumption, of course. When I was a kid I built a receiver that could demodulate AM as well as SSB. It contained only two tube stages and very few other parts.

For 180 degree shifting all you need is one triode as a follower. Make the anode resistor the same as the cathode resistor. Then the anode carries the 180 degree signal.

I only know the combination ones as available (for a lot of money):

The DK96 is probably completely unobtanium by now:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Also, I have about a hundred LM13700s I picked up dirt cheap in the DIP package somewhere around here in a box ;)

Reply to
bitrex

Anything the MC1496 can do, the AD633 can do more painlessly. The AD834 and AD835 can do it a lot faster.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Any tube will mix: diode, triode, pentode, CRT, PMT. Armstrong didn't need any fancy-pants megagrid tubes when he invented the superhet:

A PMT would make an optical superhet. LO one of the dynodes.

That's always the best solution ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Armstrong was an amazing guy--he invented the oscillator!

Also the superhet, the superregen, FM radio, and many other things.

One of my technical heroes.

Chees

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm just finishing this one

which is pretty cool. It's amazing what a jerk DeForest was, and how crazy Tesla was. And how many great inventors died poor.

Hans invented the 555 chip, which makes the few glaring errors in this book all the more strange.

I've read about the story of Armstrong and it's very sad. I often found myself wondering why, at some point, someone didn't urge him to cut his losses, come to some kind of settlement with Sarnoff and RCA, and then just walk away.

It would have been far better for his health in the long run. What good is pride if the end result is a 12 story swan dive off a hotel balcony?

Reply to
bitrex

Only problem then is that the two outputs have wildly differing output impedances, which could be a problem...

Reply to
bitrex

I'm not a big fan of pride in general, but it's easy to get fixated on your own rights.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah, I could see that. For my part, sometimes knowing when to fold 'em has kept me fairly sane these past 30 something years.

Reply to
bitrex

You and me both, brother.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Forget tubes or opamps. The semiconductor solution is called a Gilbert cell (Google for it). With unsorted transistors from the same batch, you will get a far better mixer than with tubes. Do not forget the low-pass filter after mixing.

In the Theremin case, you do not even need fight with the dynamic range in the same way as radio receiver designers do.

You should eject the idea of using tubes at all. A couple of FETs will get a far better thing. If you need the dull glow of heaters and associated show, use one or some tubes with only heaters.

--

-TV
Reply to