Wireless Inspection Camera

Hi Guys, This inspection camera is on sale for $89. The downside is it only has a 3 ft camera cable. (oh, and it's from harbor freight) I'm wondering if the connection between the camera and the control handle is just power and video out. Would it be possible to possible to lengthen the cable. Anybody have one?

It has a good review; Excellent Product Review by Tim Leech

Very Good quality for the price. We use it for home colonoscopies and couldn't be more pleased.

Bwahahahahhahahah

MikeK

Reply to
amdx

Consider the likelyhood that the cable is fiberoptic, and the camera is in the handle.

Reply to
PeterD

I have, That's why I posted the question. Although I think the camera is in the cable, someone may have one and would know for sure. Thanks, MikeK

Reply to
amdx

Very unlikely to get a three foot coherent fiber bundle for $89 even in China.

The camera is in the head.

tm

tm

amdx a écrit :

You mean that's the reason you want a more than 3 feet cable?

Yep, bwahahahahhahahah

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Well with the cost medical care these days! $89 and you have a home business. Actually I have a drain pipe that seems to get clogged quite regularly, I'd like to see why, probably not worth $89 to me though. MikeK

Reply to
amdx

How about using an old fish tape, and a blasting cap? ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Never heard anyone refer to their bum as a drain pipe!

Reply to
Dennis

I really doubt it, fiberoptic image cable is really expensive, and low price TO-99 cameras have been around for many years. Might use FO to ship the light but why versus using LED in the optical head?

Reply to
JosephKK

Don't get around much? Or just stay in prudish circles?

Reply to
JosephKK

Well... consider this thought experiment. Wrap a jillion turns of fiber around a bicycle wheel rim. Don't worry about how they lay. When the bundle is the right thickness, cast about an inch of the circumference in epoxy. When the epoxy sets, make the bicycle tire rim disappear (magic happens), and cut the cast section in half perpendicular to the plane of the bundle.

If our magical cut is of zero kerf (width) and is optically flat then we really don't care what happens to the fibers between the ends; the incident and emitted images should match from end to end.

Lots of handwaving there, admittedly, but to a first-order approximation it seems do-able (and cheap enough) even with a non-zero kerf and the wastage from polishing the ends.

Disclaimer: Not my field, at all. But if I ever get hold of enough surplus fiber, might be fun to try. Got plenty of old bicycle wheels. Effects of the refractive index of the epoxy vs the fiber?

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Rich, you need to think that one through a bit more to see why it won't work..

tm

tm

Flip the camera logic to present a 'mirror image', wot?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Indeed. Even absent that, working with a flipped image is not unusual in microscopes and telescopes.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

No. Without serious lay control you only get an approximate match; that may well be good enough.

Kerf is almost irrelavant unless you intentionally tangle the fiber.

Irrelavant, total internal refelection; on the other hand most fiber is optimised for IR wavelengths, visible light performance may not be useful. Try buying a copy of TIA-498 set, NOT cheap but you may learn stuff.

Reply to
JosephKK

No doubt, that's how the Chinese do it. ;-)

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

That's how it was done for the last 50 years.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry