Hmmmm ... Yet another solder compound ...

Sounds TGTBT.

Reply to
JW

I see some potential problems. If any of the components contain a ferrous metal, then inductive heating would be a problem. Also, iron, if memory serves has a problem with oxidization. I wonder how they bond the iron with the other elements to avoid this. maybe it needs to have conformal coating. What's the price tag going to be for the solder, and the inductive soldering equipment?

Reply to
Sansui Samari

Assuming not 01 April issue and genuine. By implication the iron is not going to rust and break down the joint any more than Pb in SnBp will oxidise/ionise and dissolve/breakdown. How many Tesla to make a joint in close proximity to chippery?

Reply to
N_Cook

Nope. Not an April issue. Internal link to an external paper sent via their weekly e-newsletter. Generally, Elektor are not given to publishing non-genuine material, and it seemed pretty feasible to me.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

As others have mentioned, I smell a potential rust problem. Near as I can read between the lines, the iron is used as a filler to increase strength and does not chemically bond or alloy with the other ingredients. That would imply that just about any strong conductive metal might work. Stainless perhaps?

My current favorite solder is 96% tin and 4% silver. Very expensive and 220C (430F) melting point.

Also, Tin-Lead-Bismuth mixes, which melt as low as 138C (280F).

Well, Tin-Lead-Bismuth-Silver is more practical at 170C (338F).

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

my fav is 63/37 eutectic. Not lead-free,though.

the solder in Chip-Quik SMD removal kit(Sony?) melts at 160degF. (FWIW)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Is that made from Woods metal , the stuff they make thermal fuses and fusible resistors from and also joke teaspoons, despite containing cadmium and lead.

Reply to
N_Cook

"N_Cook" wrote in news:hngmck$uf2$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I'm not sure,IIRC,Sony kept the formula private. It probably has indium and bismuth in it,I doubt it has cadmium.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik