Flickering lamp

I am working on a "toy" which has a 6 volt lamp. I want it to flicker a bit. Is there a simple way to do this?

Rich

Reply to
Richard Lavengood

In simple, do you want to buy a device to do this,

or,

Do you want a simple DIY project ?

Reply to
hamilton

Lots. Assuming you have a microprocessor in there somewhere, run the lamp from a current-limited power FET such as a VNP20N07 using PWM, and make the duty cycle whatever you like. Lamps flicker quite strongly with voltage changes of only 10% or so, so you don't need to turn the thing all the way off.

The current limiting action is important so that the FET doesn't blow up when the bulb filament breaks and shorts the terminals briefly. (Of course using a big beefy FET is the other approach.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

hich has a 6 volt lamp. =A0I want it to flicker

I was thinking he could adapt a flickering LED tea light, which go for about a dollar these days.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

which has a 6 volt lamp. I want it to flicker

Yes, but they have an LED and a 3 Volt battery.

SO a little modification would be necessary.

Here is how I made little Xmas tree lights.

See Flickering Lamps on a.b.s.e.

Reply to
hamilton

On a sunny day (Fri, 9 Mar 2012 09:48:35 -0800 (PST)) it happened spamtrap1888 wrote in :

Even cheaper is using a defective bulb :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You can prototype it with a little 6-pin or 8-pin micro + BJT or whatever driver, but go to an ASIC for production, assuming it's a high-volume toy.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

which has a 6 volt lamp. I want it to flicker

Those use a CMOS COB, very small (ASIC) simple circuit chip with

99.99% wafer yield and cost in the $0.001 area (the epoxy blobbed on top costs more).
Reply to
Robert Baer

For a hobbyist, that is a QND and inexpensive way to go.

Reply to
Robert Baer

This looks pretty simple

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Wow! So many ideas. This is great. My toy will probably be one off. This approach looks like it is within my skill set. I am off to the shack tomorrow. Thanks to you all. This is my first post to this site and I am a happy poster.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Lavengood

This is probably a graet approach, but it is probably beyond my present ability. Rich

Reply to
Richard Lavengood

If you want to wiggle it a bit in analog, you can use a 555 driving a voltage divider on the gate of the VNP20N07. Nice thing is that it's a very hard part to blow up.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs