? on NTE56041 for touch-on lamp

I am attempting to fix my Mother-in-law's touch-on/touch-off lamp, which appears to have a faulty BT136-600E triac in it. The sub for this is the NTE56041, but that part doesn't turn on the lights when I install it and touch the metal body of the lamp. The original part at least tried to turn the lights on when the metal body of the lamp was touched, but failed to do so completely (they flickered while the lamp was being held in the hands). Examining the PC board into which the triac is mounted, the leftmost terminal is ground, the middle is hot, and the rightmost would appear to be the gate, but has no voltage on it when the lamp is plugged in and held for examination. Actually, it has .004 VAC on it, but 0.00 VDC, with the triac removed from the circuit. And when the triac is inserted into the circuit, and the lamp held for examination this same voltage (.004 VAC) is present in the light sockets. It seems as if the triac is trying to turn the lights on, but not quite making it. I am therefore wondering if I should (effectively) reverse the connections going to MT1 and MT2, making them no longer GND and HOT (respectively) but making MT1 HOT and MT2 GND. Could it be that this light (and circuit board with it's triac) which was made in Taiwan, has these leads backwards from what the NTE56041 is expecting? I hesitate to make this change without a great deal of thought, as I suspect, if I am wrong, it might make the body of the lamp HOT to the touch. Thoughts and considerations are sought, and more than welcome. I am not sure what to do.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

he

turn

do

.

be

or

riac

,

in

ts

d it

=A0I

t,

I just bought the cheapest touch-lamp I could find and used it for the parts to replace all the electronics, must faster and easier.

Reply to
hrhofmann

the

o turn

o do

s).

o be

for

triac

it,

nt in

ghts

no

uld it

=A0I

ect,

not

d text -

You can also buy the complete touch assembly in the electrical section of some hardware stores, our local Menards, in the Chicago area, has them.

Reply to
hrhofmann

You can also buy the complete touch assembly in the electrical section of some hardware stores, our local Menards, in the Chicago area, has them.

Hmmm. Will have to check that out. Have come to the conclusion that the part I put in is still good, it just doesn't come on like it should. Why? That's the question...

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave