shrink wrap tubing can handle high heat ?

Hi Folks

I am wondering if anybody know if shrink wrap tubing can maintain its structural integrity under high heat life cycle.

By this I mean after you have shrank it around a wire, can it still survive if its in a high heat environment, say inside the car engine compartment. I want to tidy up the wirings in the engine compartment of a car to isolate grounding problems. I am hoping to use shrink wrap tubings to insulate all the lose electrical signal wires. Any idea? TIA

Reply to
Joseph

Generally yes, unless it gets so hot it disintegrates.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Joseph-

I believe the normal temperature in an engine compartment would not hurt heat-shrink tubing. Perhaps it would be damaged if it touched an exhaust manifold, but otherwise not likely.

That said, there is a flexible tubing for sale at auto parts stores, that may be better (easier) for your application. It has a slit along its length so wires can be easily inserted, removed or brought out at intermediate locations.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Aren't those wires insulated already? If you know which ones aren't, isn't that a major clue as to where your "grounding problems" lie?

I hope you're not planning to "tidy up" the spark plug wires, because that is a bad idea.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT