Fully sunlight viewable display graphics LCD?

Hi,

I'm looking for a short run (< 20) source of REALLY sunlight viewable monochrome LCD displays. I need around 160x160 and could use up to

320 x 240, but it needs to be viewable in full noon sun from overhead.

I have one display that does this, but I don't have a part number -- it was ratted out of a Palm V, and I have a partial part number, made by Epson (possibly Seiko-Epson (who of course don't make small displays anymore). The part number may be of little use anyway -- Palm tend to get things custom made.

I have a number of transflective displays, both TFT and monochrome, and nothing comes near sunlight viewable. I need this to be battery powerable so high powered backlight won't do the trick.

Has anyone any real experience with this kind of display ?

Reply to
Gavin Melville

Have a look at:

I have played with the display

and it is definitely full sunlight visible ( and color )

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

=2E. =2E. =2E.

Thanks Adrian.

I have one of the Sony displays, and I find it far from sunlight viewable -- from memory about 25% reflective and contrast ratio of about 10-12. This however may be the kind of display I need -- size, power consumption and interface are all OK.

e quoted text -

Reply to
gavin.melville

Are E-Paper displays available in these kind of quantities?

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

Reply to
Nicholas Sherlock

Hi,

I stay in touch with various e-ink technologies, and the answer is yes, but are they ever expensive right now. US$4500 for a six inch starter kit. Right now too big and contrast is not what it might seem.

White State Reflectivity: 40% (typical) Contrast Ratio: 7:1 (typical) Viewing Angle: 170º Grayscale Capability: 3-bit (8 gray levels) Typical Image Update Time: 740 ms (grayscale mode)

260 ms (1-bit mode)

In all much harder to drive than an LCD and not much better specs.

Reply to
Gavin Melville