Flag desecration?

No need to rub it in.

The last time I designed something that came back to haunt me was back around 1984, when I undersized the transformer needed to turn on a contactor - it was fine when the contactor was on, but marginal during turn-on. Happily there was room for a slightly bigger transformer. Since then I can only recall one service return, which turned out to be due to an out-of-spec HP opto-isolator. If you do proper worst-case design, things don't fail very often ...

If you were doing it right, he wouldn't have to come back to get you to do it again. There's a line from the shoe-maker's song in Kismet - "the better my work, the worse my pay, but work can only be done one way".

I'm glad you found your niche. I was doing okay in Cambridge U.K. when my wife got her big chance, and the Netherlands has worked out much better for her than it has for me. Averaged over the two of us, it was the right career move, though I'd quite like to be doing better at the moment.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

OK...
Reply to
John Fields

I put in a bit of effort at that in the late 1990s, when I was employed part-time at Nijmegen University, but it generated very little work, and really wasn't worth the effort.

I just don't have the contacts arond here to pick up the work. One of my previous bosses recommended taking up golf - he got as much work as he could handle (outside normal working hours) from his golf club, but it isn't a sport I can stomach.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Parochial twit.

It seems to be a purely American phrase - I've not heard it used in the U.K. or Australia.

The concept of mood changes through the premenstal cycle has always been well understood, but "on the rag" is not one of the colloquial terms used to describe them in Australia or the U.K. - "that time of the month" is the only euphemism I can recall.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

It isn't quite as simple as you seem to think. If you design what the customer wants, rather than what the customer needs, the customer isn't going to stay satisfied with the product.

The marketing department always want the product designed to make it easier to sell - lots of attention to the way it looks, lots of attention to the limits of performance, and correspondingly less attention to ease of use and to performance within the boundaries of the acceptance tests.

What they need is product that the customer likes using - a product that the does the job that end-user wants done. Educating marketing can be difficult.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

No curse? No visits from Aunt Flo? No riding the cotton pony? No raising the Japanese flag?

Although modern 11 and 12-year-olds seem very matter-of-fact about it these days, and perhaps do not bother with euphemisms.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

With the benefit of hindsight.

Nice try.

"Technical discussion"? You flatter yourself.

The effects of persistent alcohol abuse are physiological rather than psychological - destroy enough neurones, and you haven't got enough brain left for the psychologists to babble about. Not that the psychologists that I know - experimentalists to a man (or woman - more than half of them are female) - go in for psychobabble. Most of the time they are talking statistical significance and possible confounds - not the world's best dinner conversation, though I can now follow quite a lot of it.

As for the 4047 "debacle", do try and understand that saving a few cents on parts cost and board area in a one-off design don't justify spending extra design time (at around a dollar a minute). You claim to understand the quirks of the 555, so you should be able to whip up a design in a few minutes. Someone starting from scratch might well find the 4047 easier to set up.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

On 8 Jul 2006 19:09:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org Gave us:

That's what a proper requirements analysis prior to the bid is for.

Marketing doesn't drive engineering for commercial industrial products. Perhaps some for consumer products, but engineers are pretty good at knowing about things like ergonomics, and style as well as sturdy design in both packaging and operation. I'd say more so than ANY sales personage.

Near impossible in the electronics realm. They have to have come from the hardware end of the industry and move into sales before you get real knowledgable sales folk for electronics.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

--
Well, as I recall, until you decided to get slomanesque in order to
derail the discussion, it was just that.

"John Fields" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

8 hours a day, 200 days a year -> $200,000.00 Don't tell your wife, John. She will make you work 16 hours a day ;)
--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

--
Plus weekends... ;)
Reply to

Right. The function of marketing is to get us in touch with customers and then get the hell out of the way.

Not always. My marketing guy is good because he knows what he doesn't know, and tells the customers so, and connects them with the engineers or production people who do know. He's sort of picked up the electronics as we go along.

John

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 11:32:58 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

These guys are good too. When one knows one's limits, one does what one does better. No stabs in the dark as it were, which can have seriously detrimental effects.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

We have non-psychologists acquaintances who do go in for psycho-babble

- the difference is very obvious.

I know enough about the subject to have translated a popular lecture given by my wife from Dutch to English - the translationwas originally intended as a crib sheet for my wife's sister, who was present and doesn't understand Dutch, but ended getting published - in Japan of all places.

Well, no - and since they don't express opinions on the phsyiological effects of alcohol (beyond taking a taxi home when drunk) this is irrelevant to the present argument.

If you do want to sound less like a nitwit when talking about brainwashing, try reading Kathleen Taylor's poular book on the subject

- ISBN 10:0-19-920478-0. Amazon has got it, along with William Sargant's book from the 1950's, which I read back then.

Does that include the minutes correcting the stuff you screwed up ...

So that you could sell it? Pay me enough, and I might do it. I did check out the data sheet for the 4047 when I originally proposed it, and it certainly looked as if the design process would be a little simpler than for the 555.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Were I to compare the linguistic skills of the Dutch with those educated in America, who do you think would come out on top ?

Reply to
richard mullens

America, who do you think would come out on top ?

"linguistic skills" wasn't the question at hand, "ignorance" was. You are fully qualified for the second ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Have you stopped beating your wife?
Reply to
John Fields

We both know that I could explain how, but I'm damned if I'm going to waste the time and effort on a bullshit challenge from a featherweight like you - getting either chip to do the job is a trivial exercise, and the only interesting work involved is sorting out the capacitors to do the timing. Both of us could do the job in our sleep.

Getting a circuit that a newby could understand is a bit more demanding, and the only meaningful test of success would involve collecting a statistically significant number of newbies - at least five - and getting them to tell us what either circuit (7555 or 4047) was supposed to do and timing them as they did it.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

On 10 Jul 2006 01:25:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org Gave us:

You have been jacking off at the mouth for several days now, so don't go making time assessments now, chump.

It is yet another easy way to NOT deal with the actual discussion at hand.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

--
LOL, the only reason you don\'t want to take the challenge is the
same reason you wouldn\'t want to step into the ring with Muhammad