Flag desecration?

Making flag burning illegal, makes it into an object - instead of a symbol. You can destroy an object, nothing can destroy a symbol. Creating a special case for our flag does not mean it would no longer stand for freedom, it just means it would stand for a bit less.

Just make it out of something that doesn't burn.

Or make the smoke lethal ?:-)

We already make some flags from HEMP fibre. That's close enough to drugs for me! Maybe they are smoking them flags!

Reply to
<ifitwereme

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

Someone who runs around beating on people's heads with a shovel because he doesn't approve of their take on political symbolism might not be a scoundrel, but would look very like one.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Good idea... hemp flags!

...Jim Thompson

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 22:52:06 GMT, Gave us:

Meaningless crap.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Really...? Do you have a reference or two for these?

I came up with this, which wasn't quite as scary as what you posted...

Happy 4th,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

thats actually pretty clever. and they get paid, too.

A british soldier was recently quoted as saying:

"we are given an education. they are shown how to use a gun. The Iraqis can tell the difference"

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

rubbish. its their first refuge. why have reasoned, rational debate when you can simply yell "unpatriotic"

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Or make out the French as the enemy.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Just make it out of something that doesn't burn.

Meaningless crap.

You go and have your Meaningless crap old son. I hope it helps empty your head, as its obviously full of the stuff!

Reply to
<ifitwereme

It's not often I agree with Jim on politics, but I do agree here. Flag-burning is a peaceful but exceptionally strong expression of hate or anger against a country - it must be allowed, just as protest marches are allowed, in a free and democratic country. Making it into a crime degrades the flag and flag-wavers, as well as flag-burners - people with undesecrated flags are merely law-abiding citizens instead of expressing their voluntary loyalty to their country.

If it were a law, it would no longer be you exercising your freedom of expression.

Reply to
David Brown

I'll tell you what, Bill. Come to the US and tell that to a bunch of US Veterans during a veterans day, or memorial day service. BTW, make sure your wife knows where you want to be buried, if they can find enough pieces to send home.

Oh, yeah, "The last refuge of the scoundrel" is a man too damn lazy to find a job, so he lives off his wife's paycheck while he whines about everything in the world he can't control.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, make them wrap themselves in it before setting it on fire. Then toss plenty of gasoline on the moron while he or she burns.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So you've got your DD214, your proud, you may have even killed and stolen lands from innocent civilians for your government.

Don't make you a nice person though do it?

Reply to
<ifitwereme

Pot calling the kettle black

Reply to
The Real Andy

Australia has Anzac day, where similar groups of veterans get drunk, presumably in order to forget the unpleasant things that happened to them and around them the time their politicians last failed to do their job right.

I know better than to provke emotionally disturbed drunks.

The "last refuge of a scoundrel" quote is from Samuel Johnson, apparently aimed at Edmund Burke.

My unemployed state has nothing to do with laziness - one of the conditions attached to my relatively generous unemployment benefit is that I have to apply for a job at least once a week (on average) and I've had no trouble finding jobs to apply for which I'd be happy to take (and have every expectation of being able to handle). Unfortunately, the Dutch don't like hiring people over the age of 50, and I'm 63.

I've had three job interviews in the past three years, of which one would have lead to a job, if Philips had decided to go through with a theraputic phased array ultrasound project.

A more energetic assault on the Dutch job market might have done better, but I doubt it.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 07:38:56 GMT, Gave us:

You're retarded.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Bill, what are your areas of expertise?

SioL

Reply to
SioL

Is it normal for Dutch to be as ignorant as this? Or is "ifitwereme" an aberration?

...Jim Thompson

Warning to protesters from Welsh flagmaker

Feb 10 2006

Robin Turner, Western Mail

A WELSH flagmaker last night issued an urgent safety warning to Muslims who are buying up his Danish flags to torch in cartoon protests. Orders for the Danish national red and white flag began flooding in to Swansea-based business Mr Flag as soon as the Prophet Muhammad caricatures featured in a Danish newspaper were reprinted in Europe. "We have experienced a rise in orders for the Danish colours," owner Robin Ashburner confirmed. But he warned, "It has to be pointed out though that a number of modern flags are now made largely of polyester and when they burn they melt. That means if they are whirled around by a protester, his or her fellow protesters could be splashed by flying pieces of burning material. If it got into the eye it could do serious damage so we are about to issue a warning to this effect on our website." A wave of anger has swept across the Muslim world at the multi-publication of the controversial cartoons. Danish and other European flags have been burnt as far afield as Paris, London, Indonesia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Lebanon, Gaza and the West Bank in protest.

In Gaza City where Danish and Norwegian flags are usually unseen, shopkeepers have been putting in big orders to flagmakers. The Scandinavian flags are now more popular there and in cities like Beirut and Damascus, where foreign embassies have been burned, than the Star of David standard, often a flag burning target for anti-Israeli demonstrators.

Mr Flag, one of the UK's few flagmakers, has cultivated a global market through its internet site and Mr Ashburner says there is often a "blip" in sales after world events.

He said, "I had a call just this week from an American guy who was very fed up with seeing the American flag being burned on news TV. He wanted to do his own protest and asked me to supply him with the official Hamas colours so he could be the first American to be shown on CNN burning a Hamas flag. I had to turn down his request because at the moment Hamas is still a proscribed terrorist organisation in the UK.

"But as modern flagmakers with an internet site we get feedback almost straight way after something happens. For instance, after last Sunday's surprise rugby win by the Scots over the French we had a rise in orders for the Scottish Saltaire. I am sure it stirred up patriotic fervour to see such a great win and I am sure we will be seeing a lot of our Scottish flags in Cardiff and other parts of Wales over the next few days.

"When it comes to flag burning - and this is a personal not a professional view - it does not over-concern me. It's an expression of opinion and if I see the British flag being burnt it does not threaten me. It just shows some other people have different views. It is better to take it out on a flag than to indulge in violence.

"A lot of flag burners make their own out of strips of cloth but there is a trend among shop owners in certain parts of the world to order in large amounts to sell to protesters. We have had as many orders from Europe as we have from places like the Middle East so this is very much a global phenomenon."

Lots more flag stories at

John McMillan

Send me and e-mail - my e-mail address is real - and I'll send you my CV.

The short answer is analog design for high precision instruments, and very fast digital design (ECL etc).

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to