fakery (2023 Update)

Hire a STEM PhD, though, and he/she will be familiar with TeX (or LaTeX) for math typesetting; might even know other stuff.

I've got a book from the fifties(?) that describes math typesetting with a font box appendix, one from the sixties that describes computer (IBM 709) with Flexowriter and Photon 560 for output, but no commercial software (book title is _Computer Typesetting Experiments and Prospects_, Barnet, Michael; MIT press, 1965). I'm pretty sure mostly it was symbol typeballs and Selectrics for that decade.

By the late seventies, nroff and troff were established, and in the eighties came TeX, LaTeX and inexpensive laser printers.

Reply to
whit3rd

John Larkin wrote: ===============

** I'd be more concerned about the fake president sitting behind that fake desk. He might be replaced with a CGI version sometime soon and we would never know.

Not sure it has not in effect already happened.....

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk wrote: ==================

** He is wise to be wary of using email for important or sensitive matters. Emails are a minefield of opportunity for serious misunderstandings and misuse of communications. Beware, there is no privacy in an email.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

One early app was formatting newspapers. I recall a DEC-based system costing $50K or so.

We'd know. The ai version would make a lot more sense.

John Larkin wrote: ===============

** Fraid any "AI" for a CGI version of Biden would be coded by the exact same folk doing it for him now.

Just waiting for him the echo the famous words of pres Nixon.

" I am not a fake.... "

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

A civil engineer friend had the same opion. He was old, and very good at working at a computer, but blazing fast with the rolling ruler and a calculator. He'd sketch things out and make the young folks do the data entry for him. He had the "work remotely" thing nailed over 20 years ago. The office was small, but the projects were fairly large and ongoing around the entire US. It was a fascinating operation.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Ha!

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

much more modern than my first word processor.

Reply to
Tabby

This from the guy who thinks that climate change denial propaganda makes sense, and that actual climate science is a conspiracy amongst academics to make money out of frightening politicians.

Someone who thinks that Trump's rhetoric makes sense has a judgement problem.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I thought I saw that on a YouTube restoration video. Make it spotless... the user still needs further restoration.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Phil Hobbs snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net:

There is a pristine looking one down at the Cracker Barrel near here sittiing up on a shelf that I swear is the one I had as a kid in the '70s (only a 15 mile separation, it actually could be). Some have really lasted without decay this whole time. I was amazed by its condition, and now it is just wall art at an overpriced food joint. I can remember hunting up ribbons for it way back before the Internet or personal computers were household appliances. But that is how I know where all the keys are with either hand.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Phil Hobbs snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net:

It is truly amazing to me just how labor intensive many of the things we did in the past were compared to what they are today.

I use to make a database that printed COD tags for a tractor fed multipart UPS form they gave us and we had to give them days end reports of all shipments and the printer had to be powerful enough to make the multi-part form print right. Now, UPS gives you software and sticker sheets to print bar code enabled pick up ready parcels and they already have the report because your print jobes for the labels compiles it all on line.

And I used to use AutoCAD 2 on a 286 to perform 4X print plots for a big D sized pen plotter to make 4X layer plots for our camera so we could send run ready artwork to the PCB houses back in '85. And hand layout by tape. Now I have CAD for it.

I have 3D CAD for mechanical designs and a 3D printer to make small prototypes with that are 0.002" inch accurate. Wow.

And I have a 'smart' cell phone that is several times faster than the first Cray supercompter was that I can verbally asks questions and get answers from. Amazing.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Phil Allison snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You should likely hunt up a nice Tin foil hat. Then you can see things as they really are.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well, then you definitely would *not* know.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote: ==============================

** No tin foil hat is of the slightest use against the head shot lunatics like you deserve.

Have a nice day ................

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

... for a dumbass who looks to breitbart for news.

Corvid

Were you born obnoxious, or did you have to work at it?

Post an original schematic that we can have some fun with.

Reply to
jlarkin

More generally, we can't tell what images or sound are real, and it

I'm much better than I used to be.

It's for a headlight circuit on my '01 Dodge truck. Added relays (Dodge routed all the current thru the switch on the dash!) and put in 4-bulb lights from the 'Sport' model. That's all. Could go in the "basics" group I guess.

Why don't YOU design a purely electrical phase converter? Lots of shop machinery - lathes, mills, and cetera - requires 3-phase power, so we who don't reside in industrial districts need to use an expensive and ridiculous Rube Goldberg single-phase motor powers a generator which makes 3-phase setup. Can't you get that motor and generator out of there?

Reply to
Corvid

A VFD (Variable Frequency Drive)is cheap, these days, or you can build a Rotary Phase Converter out of a three phase motor, some run capacitors and a small pony motor to start the big motor turning. I first saw one in the mid '60s at a motor rebuilding shop.rec.crafts.metalworking is a group where you'll find a lot of people who use both.

Reply to
Michael Terrell