Publishing: what format(s) are generally acceptible?

For plain text and simple black and white drawings would DocBook be ok?

Has anybody had any recent experiences?

I have been told that EPS is no guarrantee and that MSWord would be a better bet? That can't be right? Can it?

Cheers Robin

Reply to
robin.pain

I have recently published a couple of articles, and am working on a book

-- so far the format of choice has been MS Word.

If you have something you want to publish then you can usually send the publisher a proposal -- usually an email and an outline or abstract is sufficient. Once the publisher shows interest then you should ask about formats.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Ask your publisher.

My (book) publisher accepts RTF or MS-Word. I write in openoffice.org and export to RTF when necessary. I submit illustrations in PDF and PNG format.

One of the companies I'm writing articles for requires XML, but the editor will translate from plain ASCII to their XML template.

If you are submitting an article for consideration and you don't have a relationship with the publisher yet, check the publication (if a periodical) to see if there is any mention of preferred formats, and if not choose PDF since it cannot (easily) carry viruses.

Reply to
larwe