failure

In article , John Larkin wrote: [....]

If we evolved from carbon clusters in an sea of molten iron we would say "Look around melted iron, lots of carbon and a nice atmosphere of lithium vapor. We have a huge magnetic field and lots of strong radiation. Too good to be accidental".

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Maybe it is me-nique? Perhaps i should not be so selfish..maybe you-nique?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Gosh, Win,

for a self-declared Liberal, you're remarkably intolerant.

John

Isn't that the DEFINITION of a LIBERAL ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Not the definition, but sadly a very strong correlation. I'm emotionally liberal, but I usually can't stand liberals as individuals [1]. They tend to be angry, self-centered, potty-mouthed, whiney, intolerant, and jealous of anyone who they think has more of junk that doesn't really matter. They also tend to (badly) drive huge Volvos and SUVs with Save The Earth and Stop Global Warming stickers.

John

[1] My sweet and tough wife Mo excepted. But she's a *real* liberal, which I respect no end.

The conjecture was molten iron.

John

In article , John Larkin wrote: [...]

We would on the other hand be more likely able to fly just by flapping our arms.

I don't agree that we would have no ideas about spectroscopy or optics. Light passes through many liquids well enough to allow optics to happen.

If you pour water in a container it takes on the shape of the container. We can assume it then looks at the container and says "gee this container was made to fit me exactly". We have evolved to fit this environment and are now looking at it in the same way.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Larkin wrote (in ) about 'failure', on Sun,

18 Sep 2005:

Militant Centrism is a serious threat to our way of life. (;-)

John Woodgate

It was only an extreme example intended to make the point not actually a conjecture. Any environment that a life form evolves in will seem ideal for that life form. The stuff that lives in the hot springs in Yellow Stone Park, would be in serious trouble if it had to live in the environment we thrive in.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I suppose Einstein should really have got 4

Brownian motion STR QM GTR

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Not at all, I'm just getting tired of the re-writing of textbooks, removing science in favor of what's being called "intelligence," etc. Do you think the anti-evolutionists are acting intelligent?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Not everyone is a scientist. Some people have other kinds of faith, and I don't think it's nice to ridicule them, as it has become popular to do lately. People with faith built most of what we have and planned and built the system we thrive in.

Do you know where the universe came from, or how life originated? Do intangibles, like love and kindness, seem like pure mechanisms to you?

John

[snip]

There's been a lot of BS hot air, but are there REALLY any school districts teaching "intelligent design"?

...Jim Thompson

It IS going to court.

I think that only a handful of districts in the whole country have even brought up the issue.

I also think a ruling that DOESN'T separate church and state will provide us with a nice impeachment situation.

We will get a quick resolution of Roberts when the Pledge case gets there. I'm betting "under God" is out. It peeved me when the McCarthyites put it in.

...Jim Thompson

from

I have no problem with people teaching religion, ethics, morals, traditions, or whatever they want to call it. As long as they don't call it "science".

Reply to
Richard Henry

The "fruit" element here wants "intelligent design" (meaning creationism) taught on equal footing with evolution.

...Jim Thompson

Of course. Science is, for most people, just another sort of religion, except less tolerant than some.

Engineers, after all, don't do science, we just have faith in it.

And who's "removing science"? My kid went to a Jesuit high school, and I had to help her with her science and math homework, and it was anything but "removed." Those Jesuits are smart, tough cookies, with a long history of mathematicians and scientists among them.

Read "How the Irish Saved Civilization" to see a part of the debt that science owes to faith.

John

You mean, the one where Death reigns supreme?

Yeah, but nobody else seems interested.

Not to me, but this wasn't addressed at me, was it?

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich The Philosopher

I heard it was Eisenhower. Isn't he about the strongest Repugnacrat president we've ever had? I know my Mom and Dad were quite enamored of him.

Oh, well, I guess we rewrite history as it suits our mood swings.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

I was in 2nd grade when the words were added. I remember thinking "I wonder how long this will last?"

Reply to
Richard Henry