failure

Can someone explain why Christian fish have legs ! ?

John just needs a decent Swedish car like a Saab ! Never seen one of those fishies on them. ;-)

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

The emphasis is different IMHO.

I've seen any number of Moslems interviewed on British TV and invariably their 'allegiance' is to their religion over their country of birth. If that held true for Christians we'd never have had WW1 or 2 !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Many yrs ago I realised that ppl with nothing to complain about in their lives would simply construct something to complain about out of thin air. It seems to be a basic need for some ppl.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Huh ! Reminds me of 'Brave New World' !

You're right though.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Now that Irish protestants have to live in a more equal society *they* are the ones complaining !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Islam is about 600 years younger than Christianity. Talk to a 17th century Christian and you'd get similar responses.

John Woodgate

In Northern Ireland, there are several differences between the two "sides" - one group considers themselves British, the other Irish, one group has traditionally been the ruling class (and dislikes the idea of losing that position), the other has traditionally been the ruled (and therefore dislikes the old rulers), and so on. The Catholic/Protestant split is almost coincidental to the division - it's just "tribal" or group identification.

Many cases of superficial religious differences are at heart cultural or tribal differences. Religion is just an easy label to apply.

Reply to
David Brown

Sorry John, I don't quite get that. Elaborate pls ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I read in sci.electronics.design that Pooh Bear wrote (in ) about 'failure', on Mon, 26 Sep 2005:

The Islamic zealots are behaving now in much the same way as Christian zealots did 600 years ago. Maybe just coincidence.

John Woodgate

No no no, the Holy Fish hasn't got legs, it's the ancient Christian symbol. The one with legs is the Darwinist parody- the fish getting out on land, see?

I thought the Volvo was Swedish anyway. And Saabs are General Motors now, aren't they?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Most of the "loyalists" are working class. They were traditionally accorded minor privileges (slightly less insecure employment, better access to lower- grade office and shop jobs, better housing for example) in return for underpinning the power base of the real (local) ruling class. This was particularly patent at partition in 1921. The only thing they actually have to lose is the sense of superiority that this gave them, but that has been enough to motivate them for many years now.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

More recently than that. As a boy, I was always told by my Catholic teachers and priests that my first allegiance was to religion, and after that to my country. Any devoutly orthodox Catholic would probably (if honest) say that still, though they are now a rare breed. I think the Muslim responses should be taken the same way.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

I read in sci.electronics.design that Paul Burke wrote (in ) about 'failure', on Mon, 26 Sep

2005:

OTOH, Jesus put them side-by side in 'Render unto Caesar...'.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Larkin wrote (in ) about 'failure', on Mon,

26 Sep 2005:

The vast majority are. The Protestants' quite distant *ancestors* weren't, though. But memories are long indeed, in Innisfree.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jim Thompson wrote (in ) about 'failure', on Mon,

26 Sep 2005:

As in 'Tacoma Bridge' or 'Millennium Bridge' or even 'Tay Bridge', of McGonagle fame?

John Woodgate
[snip]

Just watched the news clip on the Dover (PA) school district that wants to teach intelligent design.

They seem to want to call evolution a theory.

OK. Why don't we declare ALL science to be theory and ban it ALL from being taught in schools.

That'd play right into my hand... vouchers for everyone, let the marketplace determine what is taught in what school ;-)

...Jim Thompson

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:36:39 -0700, John Larkin wrote: ...

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich The Philosopher

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

So, where did the Scots originate?

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

I don't understand. What Scots? From time to time in the fairly distant past, there was shipment of Roman Catholics to west Scotland and Protestant Scots the other way. That's why Glasgow has two soccer teams. But that isn't something that happened recently.

As for where they originated, opinions vary. Some appear to have been quarried, other forced up under glass. (;-)

John Woodgate