Electric fishing...

There are several brands out there, and they all work on the same principle. A continuous high voltage pulse is delivered to the water , and anything, including frogs and fish gets stunned. Unfortunately, this often eventually kills the fish,a fact not advertised in the sales brochures, altho enough research has been done to show the effects.

The units are large, and carried on a large back-pack, battery powered or small gas engines.And in each hand, the operator carries a long pole with a paddle on the submerged end, and slowly walks thru the water,stunning all life between the paddles. Largest fish are effected most.

At least one manufacturer claims to use a complicated pulse shape that doesn't permanently injure the fish, but one thing is certain; this is illegal except for research, and it isn't fun watching the results.

Reply to
felix

The old way was to remove the dynamo from an old crank-type telephone. You can find them in antique and junk shops. The way we did it was to connect the ground wire to our (aluminum) boat. Then we attached a long, heavy insulated wire to the other terminal. At the far end of the wire we attached about six feet of metal chain. We would boat out onto a pond dragging the chain on the bottom behind the boat and crank the dynamo.

Incidentally, shocking fish (or, more accurately, "taking fish by stupefaction") is illegal here in Missouri...at least for "game" fish. But then so is double-parking.

Don Kansas City

Reply to
eromlignod

Does anyone knows something about this????? Can you give me some schematics or a webpage??? where can i found some more information???? Thanks

Reply to
mrmike

I understand ( from following previous posts ) that there is a method that puts a small DC current into the water that simply attracts fish.

I suggest the poster does what I did and use google.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

more

No schematics, link to a commercial product:

rob

Reply to
Rob

Heh heh.

My favorite fishing joke is about the kid who goes out on a lake every day and comes back with big stringers of fish, even when no one else is catching anything. Eventually the Game Warden takes notice. One day the warden removes his badge, puts it in his pocket and engages the boy in a friendly conversation. He asks if the boy minds if he goes fishing with him the next day. The boy says, "sure".

The next day they boat out onto to the lake to a secluded cove. The boy opens his tackle box and it is completly filled with sticks of dynamite. He lights one, throws it into the water, it explodes, and then he begins scooping up the dead fish and putting them on stringers. The stunned warden then pulls the badge from his pocket and shows it to the boy. "I'm the Game Warden. You're under arrest!", he says.

The boy calmly takes another stick of dynamite from his tackle box, lights it, hands it to the Game Warden and says, "Are you going to talk, or are you going to fish?"

Don Kansas City

Reply to
eromlignod

So is hunting with a flame-thrower...go figure.

Reply to
Okay Alex

Well, fishing with one wouldn't really work very well...

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Check "High speed pulse technology" by Frank Frungel for a chapter on electric fishing..

Reply to
Kristian Ukkonen