Eddie Currents

Strictly speaking the GPS returns heading, not bearing. Bearing is where you're pointed, heading is where you're going (only meaningful *if* you're going).

The GPS heading lags behind by a few seconds, which is an issue in our vehicle-based radio direction finding hunts, where we add the GPS heading to the antenna rotator angle to get antenna bearing. On a twisty road, the bearings veer all over the place. It needs an IMU (accelerometer, compass) for correction.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

That's not true in Australia. You can drive as far as you like in reverse, but you must be on the correct side of the road for the direction you're traveling, not the direction you're pointing. Actually reversing up the same side is only allowed for a short distance (30m,

100m, I'm not sure).

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

This is incorrect. It also uses the SSIDs of any WiFi it can hear (and uploads them to Google with GPS coordinates), if you allow it to (the default).

I use a GPS phone app to get the precise time to set my mechanical watch. It can take quite a long time to get a fix (minutes) on occasion, yet I never see artefacts of that delay in Maps... so there is other majick going on as well.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Clifford Heath wrote in news:YNOpF.191243$ snipped-for-privacy@fx40.iad:

Not really. If your phone has GPS, that is what it uses. Your method was the way they did things before GPS was fully incorparated industry wide.

Well, it can be off by as much as 100 feet when I am clearly not there, but then it updates. And oh, my wifi is OFF.

The McDonalds app is so bad it does not even know I am standing in the store sometimes.

Your phone gets set by GPS so, you can rely on the phone time readout. But your app give seconds resolution. Still, you are the one hitting the start button on the watch, so you will never get better than 200ms accuracy on the best day.

The app sounds like it was meant for USGS least squares topo map benchmarking.

There are apps that resolve way faster to the number within 1ms, and you cannot strike the button without anticipating it and get that accuracy level. IOW, major overkill.

Or you presume to know what is going on.

Likely depends on the app and the phone both. And where you actually are.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Did I ask a stupid question or is it a hard question?

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Beats me. I only see one coil with opposing field lines. It wouldn't induce signal into secondaries if they did exist.

And LVDTs aren't eddy-current based. The moving core is ferrous and

*increases* coil coupling.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Robert Baer wrote in news:5T2qF.157775$ snipped-for-privacy@fx48.iad:

Then get "clipgrab" and DL them and watch them in the format you chose to DL them in, and cast them away as you desire or kep them.

I do not DL MP3s. I DL YouTube videos of the same song. So I have quite a music collection, but zero MP3s.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

They are NOT "all in the same format"; there are at least 2 formats, one (the "unplayable" for me) becoming more re. Most "unplayable" YouTube vids have he other version available; bitch to find..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Then gasoline gets made and fills the tank.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well we know the opposing field lines is wrong or the they were trying to represent something and did a very poor job.

Only you start with that wrong premise.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Nah, he's that guy with the comb, from the old "Sunset Strip" TV show... if you remember that, you ARE old!

Reply to
Bill Martin

The TV show is called '77 Sunset Strip' and it was still running in syndication a few weeks ago.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

...and the name is Kookie.

Reply to
Robert Baer

No.

The actor was: Edd Byrnes

The character's name was: Gerald Kookson, III

The character's nickname was: Kookie

Reply to
Michael Terrell

agnates?

. if you

Yes I am old!! When are you brilliant engineers gonna develop a rejuvenat ion device that'll fix all that. Hurry up please!

Reply to
gray_wolf

Drinking babies' blood does the trick, I believe. Many of our elderly billionaires swear by it. Might be worth a try for you.

Cursitor Doom

Cursitor Doom probably got this from his extensive reading - the Protocols of the Elders of Zion is reputed to contain this kind of nonsense.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Violent movies do not make civil folk do bad things. Neither does odd fictional novels. It is when abject idiots like CD watch and read them that bent perspectives get adopted, and bad events propagate.