Eddie Currents

I think that's how my Garmin works. When I start my car and move a few feet, it knows exactly which direction to steer to get on track to my destination.

Very simple idea, actually.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My PHONE has GPS, but I am pretty sure that the GPS Circuit Package phones incorporate includes an inertial sensor, and a tilt sensor and a compass sensor, likely all in one chip (though some of those are MEMS based so maybe a few chips on a board segment).

Regardless, all I KNOW is that when I have Google maps up on my phone, I can see my position and when I rotate, I can see the headlight rotate and thereby see my direction with respect to the map's compass. And Google maps is 100% reliant on GPS as it relates to showing you where you are at. You do know what "the headlight" is on a map's GPS location indicator is, right?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Most GPS calculate direction of travel based on movement and assume the direction you are facing. You phone, however, is 'indexed'. So the direction you face it (while horizontal or near so)gets noted and worked from. It may also need to be on the move to get it right.

All I know is that I can put a map up on the phone, and face the top of the phone in the direction of travel and it notes it. Then I can rotae it and it catches said rotation immediately.

SO *I* made some assumptions about what all must be incorporated into a GPS circuit in a phone, AND I also have an app which has a plumb bob and compass and all other manner of stuff, and one must allow access or it doesn't work. So I *THINK* my assumptions are right, BUT we are in S.E.D., so... I am sure of one thing... I will get the standard railing for this.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

onsdag den 16. oktober 2019 kl. 00.32.26 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org:

my ancient Samsung can show compass heading regards of whether GPS is on or not

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Wave a magnet around it.

onsdag den 16. oktober 2019 kl. 01.12.33 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

as expected for a compass it makes it go nuts ..

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yup. Back when it actually cost something to send product info, they targeted it a lot more carefully.

When I was a young teenager I had a subscription to the Motorola Update program--four times a year I got a box full of all the databooks and apps manuals they'd published that quarter. It was stuff like COS/MOS MSI, bipolar memory, bit-slice ALUs, MC6800 peripherals, CATV amplifiers, and so forth. Made my fourteen-year-old-self feel like a real guy.

They might die of laughter (or maybe boredom). Steve Woodward is long gone.

Microwaves and RF relies pretty heavily on advertisers for copy these days.

I also really liked Circuit Cellar when Steve Ciarcia was running it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's common to use dead reckoning to fill in GPS information. It's often assumed you're driving on the highway. ;-) A couple of curves matching the map improves accuracy quite a bit.

Reply to
krw

I won some science fairs and got 1-year subscriptions to BSTJ and the HP Journal. A lot was happening about that time.

And a trip to Bell Labs in Murry Hill, me and my physics teacher.

*And* I won a week in the Navy!

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

He's hiding from the authorities, afield under the name of Eddy Sloman.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Eddie who? Brother to Siegfreid? Is Eddie still currently circulating amongst the magnates? Or is he potentially unemployed?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Not playable.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote in news:unwpF.57464$O snipped-for-privacy@fx39.iad:

You still on a 9600 baud modem, boy?

You tryin' to tell us that you have never played a video on the youtube site? 'Cause that is where that one is, and they are all the same format.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Pity about the subsequent career. Bell Labs did have an aura at the time - Nobel Prizes do that - and John Larkin doesn't.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yes, I loved CC until Steve was gone and the price went way up. I didn't renew.

Reply to
John S

What if you start in reverse?

You are not allowed to drive on roads in reverse.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Reply to
bitrex

He needs the text version I guess:

Reply to
bitrex

I do regret that my late father never got to see Whitey Bulger get his in the joint it would have made his day. What a pogue-Irish piece of shit.

Reply to
bitrex