EAGLE questions

1) Have a board that i have been working on and it is saved. Changed the package of a part used on the board. How can i "apply" that change to all of the places where that part is?

2) In DRC comments, what in the heck does "overlap" mean?

3) How could that be fixed?

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Right-Click on the part and select "Replace". That is one part at a time. You can select multiple parts using the marquee select box and after you have selected even just one part you can go back to the marquee box select and control-click to select more parts. I ~think~ this works for replace, maybe not...

This assumes that you have or have created another part that is being used in the loaded library that has the same numbe of pins, etc. and is capable of replacing the part.

Some parts like SMT resistors and caps etc come with multiple packages that can be chosen. To try that, hit the wrench and CHANGE TECHNOLOGY and select ALL PACKAGES (variants) and if it exists for that part.

Another thing I like to do sometimes is to load a compatible alternate package and save the SCH/BRD... Then go into the file itself, since Eagle files are ASCII and change them there. That might be easier in case there are too many parts to do by clicking. Think GLOBAL find/replace in the text editor

It means that something is overlapping on the board. A lot of times that doesn't matter but usually if two or more nets are overlapping, you'll get a spacing error. The overlap I really look for is drill overlaps. That can break drill bits. But the circuit board house, if they are any good will usually ask you about those or maybe even just fix the issue.

Go through the errors one by one. I usually click "CENTER" to put the error in the middle of the screen and fix it or let it go.

Make sure that if you have too many errors that won't fit on the screen, to change the number of errors allowed OR just do the DRC check in one particular area of the PCB at a time.

No problem ! BTW, I am using Eagle version 6.5 Don't know much of anything about versions after Autodesk bought them

Reply to
boB

My sincerest sympathies.

Switch to an EDA solution that isn't pathologically broken. KiCAD's PCB tool is very nice now. Can't beat the price either.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Sorry I forgot to answer this. When Eagle places a pad that's not

*precisely* on grid, it adds copper joiner segments, usually tiny and invisible under the segments you can see.

As soon as you move a component, these extra segments get stretched, instead of being ripped up and stretching the last segment that you placed. This is a huge PITA because it creates overlaps everywhere. I can't count the hours I spent fixing up crap like that.

KiCAD has push-and-shove routing now. It's really nice to use.

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I have seen that Kicad is getting much better these days.

Still don't quite like the way you pan and zoom. It's ever so slightly different than Eagle but enough to make me not want to use it quite yet. It's getting very close though.

Reply to
boB

I used it (and was annoyed by the pan&zoom) for quite a few hours before it suddenly clicked with me. It's because it warps the mouse. I use a Mac, and warping the mouse is absolutely verboten on OSX apps, but once you realize how it works, it actually makes a lot of sense.

Earlier versions (and some other apps) were utterly unusable with a MagicMouse - just impossibly zoomy. A tiny wrong touch of the mouse and the unintended scroll gives you 20x magnification or shrinking. It's impossible to get back to where you were without overshooting the other way. Only a few apps do that, and KiCAD 4 was one of them.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

So THAT is what they mean by "overlap". Thanks.

Made a quick stab with KiCad and somewhere i ran into a brick wall. Maybe i should try again in my ?spare? time.

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • Have ver 7.6.0; did the replace which worked rather weirdly. Replace/select lib/search (SOT363)/click on package/.. weird was select lib again (???), but the search did not work. Quit out, saved file different name. Opened new .BRD file, all of the parts had the new pattern, but size huge and "smash" offset was zero.

Acted stupid, opened both files in a dumb editor, found in both. Changed the two

  • Yeah, drill overlap. Enlarged the hole to fill screen, turned off all but vias. The hole/pad DID look a bit strange when i expanded it. Clicked on/near center and looked at properties; altered X value by 5 mils. Low and behold, i saw TWO circles/pads! No wonder why the Excellon drill station file had: Code Size used

T01 0.0197inch 4 T02 0.0354inch 4

Total number of drills: 8

STUPIDIO!

Holes that only have a start: ONE real hole, start top side "here", start bottom side "there" = = use drill twice(!!).

Precision re-positioning to exactly same place made no difference in drill count.

And NOBODY fixes this crap. No wonder they charge so much, they need their feather-beds.

THANKS again!

Reply to
Robert Baer

That's GggggRRRrrrrrrrreaT !!!