CPU with FPGA

I was poking around looking for FPGA chips in packages that work optimally for me and I found a couple of new companies that are making CPUs with FPGA fabric that aren't monsters like the Zync from Xilinx in huge BGA packages .

I had found the Lattice XO3D which is now available in a 72QFN with enough I/Os to get the job done, but it's a bit pricey at over $10.

There are some Chinese startups with FPGAs that have potential.

Anlogic has a 20 kLUT device in a 88QFN which sounds great, but the web sit e, data sheets are all in Chinese. I found one data sheet that someone tra nslated. Still, not sure how to buy or program the parts. Maybe watch thi s one, see if they decide to support the English speaking community. I fou nd a low priced board with their part running a soft core RISC-V.

AGM has an English web site and data sheets, but they have not responded to an email. Their chip is in a 100QFP and has a 6 kLUT FPGA optionally with a 250 MHz ARM Cortex. That would be very useful.

Gowin has some nice designs and you can actually reach a representative in this country. A very low cost board is available with a 1 kLUT part to pla y with. They have a 4 kLUT part with a CM3 CPU that will be out 1Q20. It comes in a 48QFN though, so not enough I/Os for my needs. They have other parts in the 88QFN package so they may put this part in that package at som e point. They have the impression the lower I/O count is what is desired w ith the combination of CPU and FPGA. Everyone else pushes you to monster p ackages, go figure.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature