E-Meter?

I try to choose my battles. This isn't one of mine.

I've already done a reasonable amount of reading, they don't really have an agreen on mechanism for tinnitus. And I've spent time learning a bit of biology.

Actually tried that. "Descending Control", particularly in the auditory system isn't particularly well studied yet.

Actually, nerves might have both more and fewer free variables than coax. You can yank out the coax and solder in a different one. That is more of a problem if you tried to suggest doing that with the nervous system. But the nerve conduction speed is dependent on a variety of factors that might be open to modification, finding a way to adjust the thickness of the insulating meilin of the nerves is just one possibility. Perhaps there are other even more elegant ways to do this that would satisfy questions about whether the change was simultaneously changing other things in the system.

Reply to
Don Taylor

snipped-for-privacy@agora.rdrop.com (Don Taylor) wrote in news:846dnSM9abrUbaLfRVn- snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

You're letting the terrorists win.

Well, drugs & therapy work better together than either one separately. An e-meter method might further improve the success rate.

No need to design it. Just hook up an OTS unit to their DMM readout.

The great thing about the e-meter is that it's both easy AND interesting.

You could ask in sci.med. I sometimes read physiology and anatomy when I get bored, and I am endlessly amazed at the scientific details of a living organism. Try it and you'll never go back to lowly engineering.

And you might find your answer neatly presented in the chapter on auditory neurology.

This is like asking for a way to change the signal conduction speed in a piece of coaxial wire.

Reply to
Death to Smoochy

snipped-for-privacy@agora.rdrop.com (Don Taylor) wrote in news:SbidndcZK-_eV9nfRVn- snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

Have you managed to learn what tissues perform this "automatic gain control" function to which you refer?

Reply to
Death to Smoochy

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com:

Not yet; I checked.

Reply to
Death to Smoochy

"Dave VanHorn" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

That is the name of the Marvel comics villain from Defenders #12, and not even the Hulk can stop him!!

Reply to
Death to Smoochy

I read in sci.electronics.design that Death to Smoochy wrote (in ) about 'E-Meter?', on Sat, 26 Mar 2005:

The outer hair cells. That's been known for quite a time.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

Well, it's a large field, but here's a start:

When a brain is developing, what factors do neurons use to decide whether or not to create a synapse between their own dendrites and axons and other cells' axons and dendrites?

New synapses _do_ get created, you know. This has been documented and verified independently.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

John Woodgate wrote in news:M9MHn $ snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk:

That's just the sensor. How about the underlying neurology?

Reply to
Death to Smoochy

I read in sci.electronics.design that Death to Smoochy wrote (in ) about 'E-Meter?', on Sat, 26 Mar 2005:

No, the outer hair-cells are NOT the sensors. As for the neurology, how about it?

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

John Woodgate wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk:

Then what are they, the amplifiers? And don't push the hard part of the problem on me. Neurology is one of the most difficult fields of medicine, and the project is your idea, Doctor Woodgate.

Reply to
John Schutkeker

Plastic Man was a (horrors) *villan*?????????

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote in news:o9p1e.5084$gI5.3788 @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

What makes you think I'm talking about Plastic Man?

Reply to
Death to Smoochy

Yumpin' yimminy! It's a yolk, son.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote in news:gPO1e.6365$H06.4778 @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Right, but how did he get from Xemu the Marvel comic monster to Plastic Man? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reply to
Death to Smoochy