web site feedback

Hi,

If you look at the "specifications" tab of this page

you'll see things like

blah INPUTS blah blah junk OUTPUTS junk junk

Alternating clusters of stuff like that are supposed to have white/cream backgrounds to visually separate them.

On my computer, all I see is white background, so it's confusing to read. Most computer/monitor combinations have at least some contrast. Some show cream, some grey.

So, how many people can see the alternating background colors, and how many can't? What color does it look like?

Do any of you webby types have a suggestion to improve this?

John

Both IE7 and Firefox on Windows XP show alternating white and grey backgrounds.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

On a sunny day (Tue, 08 Feb 2011 11:33:01 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Looks OK here in Opera in Linux Xfree86 on a Samsung. Are you sure your video monitor is set to true color or at least more then 16 bits? Here is a screengrab, it SHOULD look OK on you monitor, if it does not your settings suck. ftp://panteltje.com//pub/highland_site.gif

If you think this violates your koppie right let me knw, then I will erase it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

on my secondary monitor (dell2707) connected to a laptop I get the alternating grey/white, on the laptop it self I get just white unless I turn down the brightness

pick colors further apart?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I can see them... the color looks like a light blue-gray.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I can't see any contrast on your screen shot, either.

I would like this to work on all vid card+monitor combinations.

John

I see the difference in colour; it is quite nice and subtle, not intrusive but helps your eye follow the text, makes the page look easily assimilated, very effective.

The contrast is very clearly better at the top of my backlit LCD than at the bottom. I can scroll an area with poor contrast up to the top of my screen and it improves. I would not have noticed this if you had not asked me to comment.

This is a 5 year old laptop (running Firefox on Linux) so the backlight is probably relatively faded. I would guess that a new laptop with a bright screen would render these bars hard to see.

Uh... Make one of the colours less neutral, maybe pink, so your eye isn't simply seeing a difference in greyscale.

Reply to
Nemo

On a sunny day (Tue, 08 Feb 2011 12:05:56 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

In the old times, when hardwre resources were limited, I had the X server on 16 bits IIRC. I would think that you have some settings wrong on your PC. Let's see what the others see. Very few people these days use less then full color. Those tha tdo cannot pay for your stuff anyways :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It's supposed to be a cream color, but it must be too subtle. Maybe "cream" is just white with the blue cranked down a little.

Maybe we need a more complex color so it always shows up on various monitors.

Thanks for the feedback.

John

On a sunny day (Tue, 08 Feb 2011 12:05:56 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Before you scew up a perfectly good website , please run the mtest.exe program in MS windows:

and adjust you monitor or / amd PC or buy a new.

:-) Else it is a bit like somebody trying to calibrate equipment with a defective scope.

1) calibrate PC + monitor 2) test website
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

...and while you're in there, squash that one last bug so that the Worldwide Web Consortium's HTML validator smiles.

and you get this kind of result.

JeffM

My wife says I am fairly color-blind at least when it comes to picking ties. But since you can't see them and I can it doesn't seem to be so bad :-)

It's white and then alternating to mildly gray on my monitor, a Viewsonic VA2701w. Very nicely readable and quite unobtrusive. Way it should be. What's (sort of) cream-colored are the tabs. Tell the brat she did a nice job :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Opera 11.01, javascript turned off: just the "one big table" with an all-white background. Kudos for accommodating non-javascript access.

Same, with javascript enabled: the tabs now work (as expected) and the spec table has mild gray (0xEE-0xEE-0xEE) alternating bands.

Improvements? Add blink tags, obviously... ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Nice pulser. Can I wire the outputs in series? I have this 400V Pockels cell....

I'm showing white and light brown. If you made the white a little creamier, it would look better. Also it needs some white space for logical groupings, e.g.

OUTPUTS

  • Four individually-isolated transformer-coupled positive pulses

(white space)

*Common amplitude adjustment, +5.0 to +100.0 volts into an external 50? load *Amplitude set test point is provided (Output is inherently low impedance and should be terminated in 50? to maintain proper pulse shapes)

(white space)

Max duty cycle 0.2% at 100 volts, 5% at 5 volts Max pulse width 200 ns at 100 volts, 825 ns at 5 volts Min pulse width 8 ns

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm running all default card settings, "generic monitor", 32-bit color, Planar LCD, auto setup. The computer is an HP ProLiant "server" so it probably has a minimal generic video card... not a game machine!

This is cool:

On my screen, a lot of the lighter colors just look white.

We're currently using color 0xEEEEEE, 93/93/93, which sounds like pale grey to me. We'll try some others.

I do want everybody to be able to see this. I wonder how it looks on a tablet.

Changed: this very minute it's Almond, 94/87/80, which I can see now but other people see as rather dark, sort of orange.

All these colors change a lot as you move your head around. I wish LCDs were fast enough that monitors could have b+w pixels with RGB sequential backlights.

John

It's not my monitor that matters. It's all the other monitors out there in the world.

John

I'll point this out to The Brat, except that all the stuff that's flagged as errors seems to work.

John

[...]

How fast do you need to pulse it? Would a snappy falling edge and a sluggish rise be ok? Capacitance?

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

...and I question the wisdom of specifying the width of elements in pixels (beyond 5px for e.g. borders). These days (well really, always) you never know what device someone will use to view your site.

Reply to
JeffM

We have hooks for using 200 volt fets and a 2:1 step-up transformer. We would lose a little speed. How much load capacitance do you have, and how much speed do you want?

John