Dumb question regarding SMPS

That's a Lockheed L1049. I actually did some stuff for the L1011.

My first flight on a DC3 scared me s...less. I wasn't used to seeing glowing engine blocks :-( ...Jim Thompson

Sometimes it goes wrong:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

wrote

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

my Dell's "fat

arc was not

HP -- not as

so I wonder

arcs (does it

outlet?

a big

the peak of

factor corrected)

switching power

lockout too ;)

ST ignores

driver,

they forgot

but I'd

TI on 10/2.

message in

tada, a

the old number.

answer. No

I chose

with

under

pins, most

resources in

error

the

because of

or

already built

Atmels,

that

functional

the

never

ago?

They

as one

busses,

and

rather

I don't even know if we can name signals in bundles with a range, but we *can* have totally different names within a single bus. CLK, and DATA1, DATA2, DATA3,... ,DATA1001, WRITE, READ, ENABLE, +5V, GND can all be in the same bus. In fact, I'm not sure what busses accomplish other than showing up on the schematic as one line. The good side is that we don't have to use stupid naming conventions like having evens be the '+' and odds the '-' of differential signals. The sign can be part of the element name. Any signal can be part of a bus. The down side is that it doesn't matter what the bus does, everything is connected by name. It's worse than OrCAD but it's pretty bad this way, too.

far

can

really

too, but

on

hierarchy,

bad

schematic.

wherever).

along

too.

already

The boss is going to point at the engineer. Shoulda checked that! Grrr.

have

makes.

I sure hope so. It's all over otherwise. I'd like to work another ten years but that's not likely to happen if Obummer has his way.

Reply to
krw

[...]

makes.

shows

That's what people in Detroit said about 40 years ago. Later this turned to "Oh s..t!" but it was too late and their companies fell apart. We had to bail them out because of that major mistake.

The same happened to Radio/TV manufacturers, VCR manufacturers, LCD manufacturers and so on, except their companies croaked and nobody bailed them out. Some of this was clearly avoidable.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

that

functional

the

tires/wheels/and nuts in

exhaust on

single

Impossible to

wanted

one

widget

describing

you

drive

25 years ago not many had 1000 pin modules (and those of us who did, certainly split the blocks into organized parts. You already admit that you split up gates and opamps. UCs are just as important.

such,

have a

back

You have one block with hundreds of connections with random pins and power connections (capacitors shown locally). When you wire all this together into a system it *is* a rats nest. It can't be helped. Splitting the block into smaller, functional, pieces alleviates this a *lot*. The memory bus can be on a separate page with its 64 address and 64 data pins organized, in order. Few will ever have to look at it and it won't mess up the more important signals.

Breaking out

There are

argument

break

Good grief. Actually, I do have a problem tracking lines across a page. I'm always swapping pins. I just can't see the swap unless I already know it's there.

No wonder you still use such poor practices. You think 100 is big. I have at least ten parts on a schematic larger than that. The DSPs are >300 pins (one

500 and one >700). We also have several QFP144s. It's not *so* bad with the dinky 38pin flat-packs but it's still a mess trying to squeeze in terminations and capacitors next to the pins, since they're not pinned out logically.
1k pin BGAs.

not

other

package.

try to

than six

doing

there,

fact.

had

Evidently there are a lot of idiots. It's done in the highest reliability industries.

issues.

Oh, well. BGAs *are* reliable.

season.

during

portion

in

in

Sure. That was easily predicted. Traffic tickets were an early "revenue enhancement" technique. Red-light cams make it much cheaper to collect. Rampant big-brotherism. No thanks. You can keep Californica.

Reply to
krw

have

makes.

shows

It's exactly the opposite. *THEIR* processes *suck*.

...and look where Japan is now.

Reply to
krw

te:

fine.

heat

the old

That's avocados and nuts. Power's $.10/kWHr in my neck of the woods, for now anyhow, no limit. (from coal). Maybe we'll switch to solar after the Barackolypse, in which case I'll be burning wood.

I don't use much, only about $20 base, and an extra $25 or so a month in winter, the time of year my house gets and stays cold.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

What VCRs were built in the US, other than the failed Cartivision?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

have

makes.

shows

Huh? Whose and what processes?

Japan does not have China as their money source, for obvious reasons. The companies there are doing rather well. There is a reason why so many people drive Toyotas.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I have no problems with that, and neither do any of my clients.

[...]

I brought you an example from your former employer and that is a darn good company when it comes to quality. Yet they had BGA problems galore. I could have told them.

issues.

Your choice. I am of a very different opinion.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

have

makes.

shows

Japanese. From what I see, the Chinese are even worse.

Good grief, twenty years ago the bogeyman was Japan. Before that SA.

...built, now designed, in the US. THe difference is unions, not so much processed.

Reply to
krw

at

terminations

Your stuff is tiny. ...and you don't care if it's a mess. ;-)

My PPoE hasn't done that sort of work in several decades. THey were quite good at it, though.

issues.

be

You're welcome to your own opinions but not your own facts.

Reply to
krw

have

makes.

shows

Maybe you should take the engineer's tour through a company such as Mitsubishi. That can be an eye-popper.

There is a reason why my car from that company has not had one defect from day one, over 16 years now. Not even a dome light bulb has dared to burn out.

SA?

According to guys in Detroit their bogeyman _is_ still Japan. Well, plus South Korea now.

My car was designed and built in Nagoya. That's not in the US.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

at

(one

the

terminations

Clearly you have not seen the schematics of a 128-channel ultrasound machine.

[...]

on

issues.

onto

be

have

I know the facts, and they show that BGAs cause reliability issues.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

have

makes.

shows

purchasing

amazing

Manufacturing, not engineering control.

Good grief. Anecdote evidence.

Saudi Arabia.

Except that the cars are built *here*. For at least the last 20 years, Detroit's problems have been production more than engineering. Detroit's real bogeyman is *UNIONS*, something neither Japan or Korea (or their US entities) has any worry about.

Last century, perhaps.

Reply to
krw

at

(one

the

terminations

You think a 100 pin QFN is big. QED. OTOH, mainframes *are* big.

on

issues.

am

onto

be

have

environment,

Bullshit. BGAs are *very* reliable. They wouldn't be in military equipment if they were anywhere near as bad as you dream.

Reply to
krw

We have

longer makes.

either

Everything shows

purchasing

amazing

It's both. Good engineering control and good manufacturing go hand in hand. For technical goods one cannot really exist without the other.

Obviously you do not read Consumer Reports. I do, and most deinitely before making a big purcahsing decision like buying a car.

Sure, because every time the unions made a demand the big three rolled over and played dead. Nonsense such as jobs banks.

Nope, still built in Nagoya.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]
[snip]

Consumer's Union supported Obamacare. As a result I cut off not only my subscription to Consumer Reports (the magazine) but stopped my charitable contributions to Consumer's Union. ...Jim Thompson

Ok, that was one of many examples. There are statistics the AAA runs, there's Edmunds, and on and on. It does not take much to figure which brands are at the top. And wishful thinking isn't going to help in that domain, only cold hard facts count.

I guess there is a reason why you are driving a Nissan and an Infinity.