Dumb Question on SMT Interchangability...

Probably a newbie question, but I'm going to ask anyway... :-)

I've etched a circuit board with a few SMT components on it. I laid it out for 1206-sized parts, but it's starting to seem that the only parts I can get with the values I require are 0805-sized.

Hence my question - can I still solder 0805 components onto pads laid out for 1206 components...? Comparing the pad spacing side-by-side on my CAD program, it looks marginally possible.

Reply to
Len Lekx

For one-off, home-brew prototyping, sure. If it fits, it fits. Of course, it's not the pad spacing between 0805 and 1206 that matters, it's the 1206 pad versus the 0805 component.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Yup. A 1206 pad is probably big enough that you can solder both ends of an 0805 to one of them.

In a pinch, you can put 0805s on 0603 pads by standing them up like billboards and turning them so they're diagonal to the pads. Not the most robust solution, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

One of my customer's demos to their customer was saved by an ace technician who managed to fit 0805 MF resistors onto 0402 pads that way. Fortunately there was a nicely machined, black anodized aluminum housing to hide that atrocity. :)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

True enough. The terminals have to be able to sit on the pads.

After some searching, though, I found that there ARE 1206-sized capacitors in the values I'm looking for. It just seems a little excessive to me, to use a part rated for 50VDC in a 5V circuit. :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

Whereas that seems perfectly normal to me ;)

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Why? Some people prefer to use 150 or 500 volt.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

No particular reason... I'm so used to seeing 5V circuits that use

16V capacitors, it just seems like it's an unnecessarily large margin

- a crystal-oscillator circuit isn't likely to have 50-volt spikes. (Is it...?)

Reply to
Len Lekx

That's not the point. You want some margin for noise or spikes in the circuit, if you want it to keep working. If you run it right at the edge, the failure rate goes up.