Doppler Radar

Jim, take a look at

where you'll find 10GHz and

24GHz doppler modules for sale at very favourable prices. They would certainly be very useful for what you have in mind.

Good luck..

Peter, G3PHO

UK Microwave Group

Peter

no offense but:

ramsey's kiit emits all of about 500 microwatts at 1.6 ghz, useless for dogs, but Ok for part 15 radar of cars.

try

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

Hello Jim,

Not necessarily. It can become wrongful death but you'd have to have proof of grossly excessive speed. Skidmarks can be such proof if a car doesn't have ALB. But, of course, the experts for that usually only come out when a person has been hit.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hi Jim,

I don't know if I'm going to be graciously asked to butt out, but what do you expect to gain by an alarm that goes off when presumably some pre-set speed is exceeded? I do know that when I was a teenager, I would have viewed such a thing as an almost irresistible attractant.

If you want a radar-based device, get an old police radar gun, and design an interface to a camera to photograph the licenses of the cars. Perhaps the parents of these miscreants might enjoy seeing what their larvae are doing with the family jitney!

Sorry about the dog. 8^(

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Reply to
Mike Coslo

What a waste of time! If you have a problem with speeding cars just phone the police, or video record it and phone them at a later date. Also don't be irresponsible and let dogs out as they might cause an accident or get killed if they run across roads infront of cars.

Reply to
Brian

RESPONSIBLE parents do not let their children run out in the road, idiots that allow dogs to run free in the road need to be aware that they can cause accidents. I do hope the pathetic owner is held responsible when a dog which is out of control runs out and causes an accident. Two seperate arguments, you need to be clear of what it is you want. Jealousy is a terrible thing, so if that's all it's down to then give up. That is wht it comes across as. The people concerned probably have their own cars and don't expect some idiot to allow a dog to run infront of them in the hope they will hit it. Were you after an insurance claim? Keep the dogs under control as responsible people keep their children under control.

Reply to
Brian

No idea what you mean by ALB as abbreviations are only good for those who all have an understanding of what is meant. If you refer to a car with antilock brakes then they DO leave marks that can be identified. I have investigated enough accident scenes that leave the same tell tale signs. Boy racers with antilock brakes all assume they can go faster and no one will know. How wrong they are.

Reply to
Brian

Hallo Brian,

I used ALB because it was on the insurance papers. They give a discount for that feature. In Europe they mostly call it ABS.

True, they do leave regulation patterns. But an accident investigator told me they are pretty faint and wear off faster by traffic.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Brian,

Even then it can still happen and we all have to use our cars carefully. One kid didn't get injured because I was going 15mph in a 25mph zone (the street where we live). It dashed out when the garage was opened, zooming into the road from behind a van. Couldn't see it coming but I never go faster on that street, for that very reason. I came to a stop about one foot before the child.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

..try Philips . they manufactured once a module working in the X band for security detectots, doors openers and suchlike. if I remember correctly iwas named CL-8XXX.

Reply to
Saandy , 4Z5KS

Well, I know I'm going to be asked to leave this discussion but, technically, unless you are IDing with your call sign every 10 minutes. it would be illegal. I seriously doubt that this was in your plan.

Police radar guns, should you come up with one, are also licensed to the department, assuming the cops are following the law, always a dubious proposition.

So, because these are -technical- newsgroups, I was being -technical-.

Now for a "prohibited" non-technical suggestion, here is one that I am contemplating. I too live on a short, private, single-lane road, that serves four multi-acre homesites. I am plagued by the guys driving delivery trucks (DHL, UPS, etc) who roar down the road in a cloud of dust while delivering to my neighbors. I have complained to UPS repeatedly without success.

So one of these days, when I'm up to it, after they go by on the way to the neighbor's house, I'm going to take my truck out and block the road for 15 minutes. (A second offense will call for a penalty of 30 minutes, etc) UPS seems to have a deal with law enforcement that exempts them from speed limits on public roads, but in AZ the statutes say:

28-628. Rights of real property owners

This chapter does not prevent the owner of real property that is used by the public for purposes of vehicular travel by permission of the owner and not as a matter of right from:

  1. Prohibiting that use.
  2. Requiring other, different or additional conditions than those specified in this chapter.
  3. Otherwise regulating the use as deemed best by the owner.

In other words, I get to regulate the speed (I've posted it as 10 MPH). I have no power to fine UPS, but I can still cost them money.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

You're probably going to get into "co-ownership" issues regarding the access easement. How is the road ownership defined... everyone grant an easement to the others?

A neighbor may sue you for "interference" in his business.

Where in AZ are you?

...Jim Thompson

Precisely the plan, Wes. The horn serves two purposes. One, it alerts the transgressor that they pushed the button. Two, it alerts me to fire up the truck and block the road.

As others have pointed out, a two pressure hose setup and some simple math in a microprocessor of some sort would serve the same purpose at far less current draw, but I'd like to try the radar gun first.

Hell, Jim Thompson went on for two weeks about how to detect a school bus pulling up in front of the house. I thought this one would go on for at LEAST as long {;-)

BTW, Jim, what was your ultimate solution to that problem?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

Why? Don't you intend to trigger a siren to slow them down? What's it matter if they slow down because of their dectors - they slow down, and that would appear to be the important thing.

Cheers.

Ken

frequency

Reply to
Ken Taylor

There's a radar speed gun on Ebay *NOW* (not mine, so technically this isn't spam...:-)

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

[snip]

Sit in my office from 7:45-8:00AM, so I'm looking out the window ;-)

What I am going to try, when I have the time, is a suggestion that colored LED's make color-sensitive detectors.

...Jim Thompson

Scott

You are not reading the wording carefully; it is the "not as a matter of right from" that you are missing. It very well may be a matter of right if the private road is co-owned by the other property holders and this ownership allows them the right to transact business in the way of receiving deliveries as they choose.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

You should just lay down some pressure switch hose and get a Parallax BASIC STAMP kit from Radio Shack. Parallax has wireless modules on their site you can order to xmit the data to your house for timestamping, archiving via a PC etc...The smarts will run off a 9V for months- you can't say that about a Gunn osc xmtr or any of the other surplus junk. And then there is the issue of weather-proofing and possible loss due to vandalism- think hidden wireless camera activated by intrusion alarm in PIC.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Gray area. The road is not co-owned by the other property owners. At least my deed doesn't say a thing about me co-owning a piece of the property between the public street and me.

Besides, I'm not going to stop the delivery, I'm just going to do some "traffic calming" when the truch is leaving.

What you're trying to tell me is that I've given up complete control of an easement and if the truck drivers want to go 100 MPH I have no say in the matter. If I were to call the Sheriff's office I'd be told, "It's private property, we can't do a thing." If I asked the county to grade it I would be told to kiss off. If someone got hurt on the easement, I would be liable. When I bought the place the title company had a hissy fit because there wasn't a road maintenance agreement in place. It took the appraiser writing something to the effect that this was a typical situation in this area, and that each property owner maintained the road on his easement, before the company would issue title insurance.

Sounds to me like I do have some say so over the property.

Reply to
Wes Stewart