Some of my design work in action...

...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

You build lighting for bus stop shelters? :-) Mikek

Reply to
amdx

The LED drivers in the billboard. ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

amdx wrote in news:lbrg89$gtc$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And British are using it? :)

Massoud

What kind of power does that thing draw?

Reply to
Daniel Pitts

I don't know the exact numbers, but it is in the multi-KW range. But it's "efficient" with switchers regulated to supply just the exact amount of forward drop required by each LED grouping. ...Jim Thompson

Wow, I knew you predated them, but I never knew you actually _invented_ bricks. Awesome!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

;-) ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Do you also have a constant current in the design, or do you just supply "exactly the right voltage"?

I was actually thinking about this, is there such a thing as a switching constant-current source, rather than a switching voltage source? Wouldn't that be pretty efficient?

Reply to
Daniel Pitts

Controlled currents via video. "Exactly the right voltage" is in the patent application process, so I can't comment.

The trick is the get the voltage at the tops of the LED's to be _exactly_just_enough_ that the (switching) mirrors don't run out of head-room. ...Jim Thompson

Sure, there is a whole raft of chips made specifically as constant current switching supplies for LED lighting.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Only some? The rest of them do not?